8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone reccomend? I need this to be on a budget, do not want to invest a lot in this upgrade. How are the Polk Audio DB series? They are only about $140 online for a new pair.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
what sort of budget are we talking about. . . but generally speaking when I hear that term used id go straight to the Polk Dbs and the Infinity reference as my default recomendations

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Are you powering the speakers with the head unit or an aftermarket amplifier? If amplified, how many watts RMS per channel is the amp's 4 ohm rating?

The answers to those questions, along with your musical taste, & type of installation, will dictate the components you should be looking at.

Hans

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just installed a set of Infinity Kappa's in my Civic and I LOVE them!!! I am running 175 RMS to them tho!! IDK what you are planning to do there...

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
owwwwwww. . . Kappas at 175W. . . im shocked you arent burning your passives. . . but even so, Kappas were always too bright for me, especially under more power, the metal domes are too bright and the various cone materials used through the generations has always been too soft on the midbass to back it up. . . oh well, now im just ranting, but I do seem to like the reference over the Kappa line

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I will be powering with a small amp, not sure what kind yet but it will not be junk, either RF, JL Audio, or Hifonics, probably around 80-100x2. My musical taste is broad, Alt Rock, Hip Hop, and Trance. I had Kappas in my old Civic and they were too bright for me just as a reference. My dad had Polk EX's in his car (lower end Polks) and they were OK but not amazing.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
if youre willing to spend a little more id say Focal Access, a much flatter response than Kappas, and for not too much more money. . . I agree on the Kappas being too bright, as you can see in my last post :p

·
Registered
278 Posts
if you want a real budget comp then the pgs rsds are very popular. they can be had for about 80$ and sound decent for the price.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If you are serious about sound quality, and willing to put the effort into a good install, I'd look at the following sets: (All of which can be found for around $200)

DLS MS6A / R6A
Image Dynamics CTX65CS
Rainbow SLC265 / SLX265
Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS
Zapco i-6.2

While all of the above will run off of 100W RMS, having more amplifier than you need is never a bad thing (especially if you like to listen at high volumes).

On the other hand, if you're not looking to put much effort into the install & just want something cheap & easy that works, Get a set of Phoenix Gold RSd65cs (the speakers Taco recommended in his post), or Polk DB6501 and call it a day.

Just my $0.02,

Hans

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woofersetc.com is having a huge CDT liquidation sale, are these good speakers? Which model to go with? Do we have issues with depth during the woofer install?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The CDT drivers are rebadged Vifa units. Not that they aren't nice, but you are really paying for the CDT passives. Unless you are a huge fan of the CDT passives - If you like the Vifa drivers, you can purchase them directly as such for less.

Vifa's parent company is known as "Tymphany". They are Danish, and produce the Scanspeak, Vifa, and Peerless lines.

Tymphany | The Sound of Modern Design

Madisound is a Tymphany dealer:

Madisound Speaker Components | Assisting speaker builders for more than 25 years.

Hans

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended up going with Memphis M Series 6.5's with Memphis 2.50 amp to power them, best decision i've ever made, these blow the doors off the stock speakers, sound much fuller than my old Kappas and are at least as good sounding as my Boston Pro's that were in my last car. I got the Speakers, Amp, wiring, sound dampening, and install for $500.00 total which I'm pretty happy with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts