8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK. I want to do the craziest thing. I want to take EVERYTHING out of the front end of my car (ALL of the front dash). I want to go all the way down to bare metal/firewall. I want to relocate my aftermarket alarm system to somewhere on the firewall but I also want to put down 2 layers of sound deadener first. Anybody know how to take EVERYTHING out? Thanks.

UPDATE*** I HAVE done this thanks to a phone conversation with SWRT BUT there were a few bolts he forgot to mention when it comes to removing the whole dash in one piece. NOW my dilemma is, I found someone to do an interior swap and wanted to know how to take off the passenger side air bag, the top part of the dash, and the whole plastic frame (with same color as all plastic pieces) in order to do the swap. Even when I had the whole dash out of the car, I couldn't really see how to do this. ANY help would be great.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
how about start with the obvious and work up from there. hint: the easiest place to start when removing a dash is with the side panels between the door and the dash:thumb:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you already posted in the tear down guide.
that didnt help?
Nope. Didn't have any info pertaining to the WHOLE THING. I mean EVERYTHING lol. Not just the radio bezel and the gauges lol.
strap in my friend, you're in for a 10+ hour ride
Seeing as how when I gutted my 97 camry almost 2 years ago to put sound destroyer all throughout, it stayed apart for over a month. I'm not too worried lol.

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
it took my brother and me like 12-14 hours to tare the dash ans the int. of the car out...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it took my brother and me like 12-14 hours to tare the dash ans the int. of the car out...
Really? It takes me an our to get all the main stuff out. The panels, and the trim dash stuff. I haven't taken out my seats, the center console, or the carpet yet but will eventually. Did you take all the stuff out of the front dash area?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I did this once with an old Chevy truck. By the time I put everything back together I had about 30 left over screws and a handful of broken clips. Although I don't remember it rattling any worse than before. Good luck. And I hope you have a nice warm garage to do this in.

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
Really? It takes me an our to get all the main stuff out. The panels, and the trim dash stuff. I haven't taken out my seats, the center console, or the carpet yet but will eventually. Did you take all the stuff out of the front dash area?
we had to re-run the harnesses so yea it all came out, everything to the bare frame. headliner pannels, dash, dash sub frame, everything. Taking out the seats would have made it easyer though, we didnt do that.

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
EVERYTHING!

You mean the air bag, yes. we needed to take out the main harness and put in a new one. (navi install) But we couldnt get one bolt so after it was all apart and in pieces we put it back.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
its very straight forward...imagine...at a honda factory they have to assemble our interiors so each bolt is fairly accessible...just look for tiny pry holes for covers and lots of clips and screws...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Honestly... and I'm not pulling your chain, the factory installs the whole thing, covers, radio, steering column... everything -in less than 1 minute.

Going backwards:
-Disconnect the steering column where it goes through the fire wall - 1 10mm bolt
-Pull out the centre console - about 6 screws in total
-Pop off the side covers on either side of the dash (hidden when the doors are closed)
-There are 3 bolts under each cover, take them out
-There are 2 more bolts at the bottom, in front of your shifter where the dash frame meets the exhaust tunnel
-Disconnect the 2 or 3 couplers that connect your dash to the rest of your car
-Get some people to help you lift it out

You may have to take the steering wheel off to get the dash out the door... or just leave it in the car. If you take out your front seats (4 bolts and an SRS coupler) you can put it there. You'll probably want to take your shifter out too... 4 bolts and disconnect your cables.

Be careful, the dash is very heavy.

-SWRT

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
its very straight forward...imagine...at a honda factory they have to assemble our interiors so each bolt is fairly accessible...just look for tiny pry holes for covers and lots of clips and screws...
you would be very surprised how inaccessible some bolts are

1 - 20 of 48 Posts