8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the summer I turned my 06 ex coupe into a rolling sound and display studio. I’ve done minor installs in a few cars, but never anything this big or crazy before. It took about + or – 175 hours, and about + or – 2,500ft of wiring. The entire install was done solely by yours truly:biggrin:; completed it at the end of the summer and finally decided to throw a bunch of pics up to show my appreciation to all the people here on 8thcivic who’s guides (in the DIY section) and advice I thoroughly used (and of course to show off all that my sweat, blood and tears produced).

Here is a list of what was put into the car (short of the wood/carpet/wiring):
2 JL Audio 10” W7s
1 JL Audio 1000/1 Mono Amp
1 Kenwood Excelon KAC – K541 4 Channel Amp
4 Diamond Audio D661S Component Speakers
4 Diamond Audio D661S Component Tweeters
4 Diamond Audio D661X Crossovers
1 Audio Control LC6 w/ bass knob
1 Tireflys Color Morphics Lighting System
10 Tireflys Color Morphics Strips

So I hope you enjoy, and maybe leave a comment…whether you love or hate it.

Thanks!

This is my baby after the install. She’s durrrty, just how I like her. :eek:hsnap:

From the back. :hitit:

I was reduced to driving this 94 Accord during the months this install took….worth it.

She’s all clean here.

I love having the car look stock…outsiders have no idea. The whole system runs through the stock deck thanks to the LC6.

P.S. This is the type of weather I worked on the car in….naaaaassssssty.:eek:mg:

We’re ready for surgery Dr.

Tore up the trunk a bit.

Seeing how everything will fit.

Built my sub box to exact interior spec recommended by JL Audio. Including a "stabilizing bar”.

2 JL Audio W7 10s…soooo nice n’ clean.

Phase 2 of trunk

Can you guess what goes here?

Some of the wiring; speakers, tweeters, sound inputs, 0 gauge power, etc.

Look closely at the bottom left and top center. All the wiring.

Getting everything ready for a pre-install test.

Testing….a bit cluttered and dirty.

More testing.

I spent quite some time custom fabricating this unique mount. So sweet.:dancing:

Ok, so here’s the real mount. I actually was able to use the stock hole/screw to mount the speaker (after some careful modification to the speaker spacers)…and even now months later it’s still holding strong!

Chyea, the new tweets are a little bit bigger eh?

Only one thing to do about that; cutting time!

Making the rear speaker mounts from the wood cut out of the sub box to fit the W7s in.

Same stock screw/hole used to mount the rear speakers.

Rear tweeter mount.

Shot of everything mounted in the rear.

Mounting the lighting system/more wiring.

Better ground better sound!

Just a quick note: When your system puts out over 200amps, don’t put a 150amp fuse in…WOOPSIE!

Here’s how it all turned out. I put the subs facing the rear seat. I think it’s distinctive, and also allowed me to have fun with the other side.

Here’s my pride and joy of the whole system. The :dancing: “Wall O’ Sound!”:dancing: Notice the crossovers for the front speakers/tweeters on the Wall? Yeah, that took quite a bit of extra effort/wiring, but I think it adds some uniqueness…I haven’t seen that in a lot of applications, most just hide it up front somewhere.

No, your eyes don’t deceive you. I can still get my :thumb: spare tire out:thumb: …with a bit of finesse. Anyone who has EVER had a flat and no AAA will tell you the spare tire is GOLD, and I remembered that during my install. The trunk can still fit about 8 bags of groceries (I’ve done it!) which is a +.

I HEART STEALTH. My sub knob.

I don’t personally like lighting under my car…but interior lighting is another story. Pics aren’t too great, but you get the idea!

You like green?

Blue?

SI red?:vtec:

Hows aboot all three? Chyea, I can change the colors w/ different combos.

Subs

Wall O’ Sound! (lights up better, pics make it look too dark)

Lil red w/ multi color combo.

Passenger Seat Close Up

Subs with blue and multi color in front and red in rear.

That’s all she wrote. Hope you took pleasure in looking, I know every drive I take is pleasurable:thumb:!

·
Registered
650 Posts
VERY NICE. I also did my own install and judging from my install compared to yours....WOW you spent alot of money and time.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
wow thats ballin'
hahaha crazy shiz
my one 10" JL pounds pretty good.. I can't imagine yours
I'm gonna have to give rep on this one

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the props! It's nice to see my hardwork gettin some luv.

CNUco2007 said:
you running the stock alternator? great job btw!
Still have the stock alternator. Local company is working on trying to rework the internals of the stock so it can put out 250amps, but still could take some time. I've seen some aftermarket solutions, but I'm still shottin for the stock rework.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
All that and no sound deadener? No clay around the baffles? Electrical (BIG 3, Battery, and ALT)? Not too bad though I must say. Better than what anyone here tries to call a sound system.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JchanFTW said:
All that and no sound deadener? No clay around the baffles? Electrical (BIG 3, Battery, and ALT)? Not too bad though I must say. Better than what anyone here tries to call a sound system.

My shop sound deadened the last car I had, a 2004 Accord coupe, (Dynamat, foam, etc...) from full door kits to the headliner and of course the trunk. Had the same set-up in that car as this one.

Now I installed everything myself into this ride, and decided to see how it all would sound without any sound deadening (the whole trunk can be removed and reinstalled within a day if need be). I figured if it was bad I could just go back and sound deaden it all. But to be completly honest, I don't notice a difference between my Accord and my civic (both on sound quality and rattling). So, I'm actually glad I didn't spend the extra time/money on sound deadening; and hopefully I'll never have to...(maybe after a few years of thumbing things might start to rattle though)

As for the Big 3, I've done the alternator positive to battery positive and the battery negative to chassis. I havn't done the engine ground to chasis yet (I actually ran short of wiring). But so far it has been fine.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Impressive! Watch for thieves!

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
...then he opens it up on the street for pics! I love the setup, but be a wee more discrete for the photo shoots! Maybe this is the "I live in Baltimore" talking, but I prefer not to advertise my stereo stuff too much, especially a dope show-quality system like yours.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts