8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106827

TOKYO — The grapevine in Japan is whispering about a hot, new 250-horsepower pure sport coupe from Toyota, coming next year, which would also double as a new Celica in Japan.

Japan's moles say they've uncovered secret plans for a new pure sport coupe from Toyota, apparently based around the Scion tC. The unnamed model, due in 2006, has 2.4-liter power, like the tC, yet is good for a reputed 250 horsepower.

Toyota is aiming at Honda's stellar Integra Type R (the more exotic, faster version of America's Acura RSX). And the idea would also be to inject some extra speed and enthusiast muscle into the tC.

America will soon bid farewell to the Celica, so this new 250-hp sport coupe would be a welcome replacement. Across in Japan, the talk is Toyota would rebadge it as the eighth-generation Celica.

While the Celica as we know it is 1.8-liter, the story goes that this new model would jump up to a special high-performance 2.0-liter motor, which may be called 2AZ-GE.

What this means to you: Biggest problem with Scion? No power. Thus, this super tC sounds super-cool; let's hope it makes it into the showrooms here.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Interesting info. Another NA engine that has higher than 1HP:1L ratio? Good stuff. The question is, will it make it to North America?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chibianh said:
i doubt that's competition for the Si. It specifically says in the article the car is gunning for the integra type-r.
i meant if it came here it might be competition, but thats true, i think si competition will more likely be along the lines of the 200hp 2006 s/c tc

·
Registered
98 Posts
I remember reading a while back that there would be a supercharged version of the Tc from the factory. Throwing on a supercharger doesn't sound like something Toyota would do, so I would assume if the alleged car were based "around" the Tc, it would be the Supercharged Tc with some more TRD parts. I wouldn't be suprised if it had AWD because older Celicas had it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CivicsRdBest said:
I remember reading a while back that there would be a supercharged version of the Tc from the factory. Throwing on a supercharger doesn't sound like something Toyota would do, so I would assume if the alleged car were based "around" the Tc, it would be the Supercharged Tc with some more TRD parts. I wouldn't be suprised if it had AWD because older Celicas had it.
toyota has already announced there will be a supercharger option available from the factory that doesnt void the warranty and also has a warranty of its own. it was originally suppose to come out fall 2004, but toyotas been having problems with california's notorious carb emissions laws, and has been repeatedly pushed back. now the slated date is fall 2005, but my guess is that it will be pushed back again.

putting out a supercharger is not uncommon for toyota. toyotas been putting out superchargers for their cars for years through trd. they just have never offered it as a dealer option.

http://www.mcgeorgeparts.com/

a bunch of websites such as this one already have the s/c listed for coming out this fall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts