8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm actively searching for another ride. Something faster than my current car (Yaris, heheh).
I used to have an Integra, it was amazing. The only downside to it was the windows didn't seal at the top, hah. But it was only slightly lowered and the ride was amazing. And it had decent pickup. And then a cop smashed into me and I didn't buy another one with my accident/injury money.

I'm looking at Sedans. I have a baby due in January. So I'll need the extra space.
I've looked at g37s, g35s, TLs, and TSXs so far.
G37 is probably the quickest of the bunch, but the interiors aren't THAT much larger than the civic. And I'm afraid maintenance/repairs will catch up to me.

G35s have great looking body lines.

TLs have mega comfortable interiors.

TSX... eh? I don't know. It might be slower than a non vtec integra lol.

But the civic SI seems to have a decent pickup, an amazing driver console (I love that shifter that sticks out at you sorta), and it's probably cheaper to own in general.

The downsides to the other cars - G35, g37s, and the TLs supposedly burn oil.
TLs manuals are hard to find and their automatics are sorta/very fragile.
G35s/37s can go through tires pretty fast.

Obviously my budget is around 13k. Give or take some.
But the 8th gen SIs are supposed to be the cheapest by far. I think they're supposed to be the fastest civics yet, and they have the best interior. I'd like to get one and mod it enough to reach the low 5s on a 0-60, but I don't ever want to be out of a fast ride for an extended period of time :deadhorse:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I would honestly imagine that the TSX would be best suited for you. They are definitely not "slower" than a non vtec integra. They have 200HP and a 2.4L engine versus the Si with a 2.0.

The other cars are moot. For your price point, you won't be able to find a clean option that is bound to have low cost of ownership. I would push all of them aside including the TL.

TSX or 8thgen Si. Both can be modded to similar success. TSX will have leather and has a better (though my opinion) exterior styling compared to Si. Stock for stock. Leather seats are also easier to clean when your baby stars ****ting all over the place in the back seats.

Lastly, the TSX is a bit more luxurious and may provide a better image for you as an adult.

Finding a clean one with a 6MT may prove difficult but I would take one any day over the 8thgen Si if my price point was about 13k. If you had 20-25k and a solid 3-4k set aside for yearly repairs, then I would forward you to a G35/G37 sedan.

Remember, the TSX and 8thgen Si have engines from identical families, and both can be tuned via Hondata. TSX just has 400cc more of displacement on its side.

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
I'm looking at Sedans. I have a baby due in January. So I'll need the extra space.
G37 is probably the quickest of the bunch, but the interiors aren't THAT much larger than the civic.
U going racing w/your kid in the car? lol.

I'm not sure I understand... You're on a Civic forum. We're going to recommend the civic!

I have a sedan and I love it. But when I'm carting kid around, I take my SUV ;)

My wife drives her crossover (refuse to call it SUV) w/kid.

Kids change your perspective man.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My personal suggestion would be a certified used Acura TL with manual if you can actually find one. It's a pretty solid car and has a lot life if well cared for. Also, you can roll into financing if you want to use some of the 13k for something else (diapers?)

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
My personal suggestion would be a certified used Acura TL with manual if you can actually find one. It's a pretty solid car and has a lot life if well cared for. Also, you can roll into financing if you want to use some of the 13k for something else (diapers?)
You're not going to be able to find a certified used car of that age. I assume the OP was speaking of the 04-08 TL. This would be too old an vehicle to purchase as "certified used" from Acura. If it is the following generation and possibly a 13' then it is going to be north of 20k.

·
Registered
94 Posts

G37 is probably the quickest of the bunch, but the interiors aren't THAT much larger than the civic. And I'm afraid maintenance/repairs will catch up to me.

G35s have great looking body lines.

The downsides to the other cars - G35, g37s, and the TLs supposedly burn oil.

G35s/37s can go through tires pretty fast.
Okay, as a VQ owner myself I felt the need to chime in here...

First of all, the VQ motors in the g35/g37/350z/370z are AMAZING. They're reliable, and you won't have to worry about maintenance costs & repairs. I believe the only year with the 'known oil consumption' issue is '06 w/the rev-up VQ35DE motor, but that was more common on the 350z before the VQ35HR came out.

My personal vote is for the g37. You'll get a VQ37VHR that can easily put down 300rwhp+ with just a few bolt-ons. If you're looking to boost, I'd look at the g35 because there's a lot of aftermarket support, F/I kits, etc.

I wouldn't worry about tires, unless you're driving it on the track every weekend...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put much thought into it, and decided to lower my price even more lol. I have enough saved up to just buy my misses an 8th gen Sedan (non SI) with cash, and put a down payment on a financed SI.
I factored in the cost of tires and maintenance, and the SI seems better.

NO I won't be racing with the baby in the car, lol. In fact, the kids won't ride in my car often unless it's the weekend and I take them somewhere. I work 10-7 doing Win/Linux support, so I get off to late to pick them up from daycare heheh.

The Yaris bottoms out in the rear with any kind of adult weight back there. I have a friend, who can individually drag the suspension all the way down (he's probably 250-300lbs)

Most 2008 G35s and 20xx G37s under 13k have the same amount of miles that fa5 has at 8k.
I'm look at these 2:
**1-Texas-Owner 2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan w/Clean CARFAX This one dropped to 8200.

**Used Honda Civic For Sale Plano, TX - CarGurus This one has 60k more miles, only ~200-300$ less, BUT -- BUT I can change the stereo out and upgrade it (really want bluetooth).

I'd really like '08 G35 or g37... but I think the 8th Gen SI would be a much wiser choice overall. Besides, it's almost -twice- as fast 0-60 as my Yaris... Come on, that should be enough lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts