8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it might be fun to see how dedicated all of you are to working on your rides. What's the coldest weather you've worked on a car in? I took my girlfriend's driver side door apart to try and fix a broken latch a month ago and it was about 12 F and snowing pretty good. I finally decided it would be too difficult for me to fix and put everything back together. :sadbanana:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Oil change at -20... Did it cause it had to be done but it was a pain and i really destroyed my fingers.

I have a couple parts and things right now that are waiting in the house for nicer weather, once we get around 20 with no snow or rain i'll have a chance to do some work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil change at -20... Did it cause it had to be done but it was a pain and i really destroyed my fingers.

I have a couple parts and things right now that are waiting in the house for nicer weather, once we get around 20 with no snow or rain i'll have a chance to do some work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Farenheit or Celsius? If that's Farenheit holy crap! -20 C is pretty cold too!

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
washed my car once in 36 F...
probably the coldest I've actually worked on it would be like 40...
I live in Houston TX, so I dont have to deal with the cold too much.. Def worked on my car in 104 F before... Humid as hell too

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced my Radiator in -33 celsius that comes to about -27 fahrenheit. but where i live we see that kinda of cold temps every winter.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Farenheit or Celsius? If that's Farenheit holy crap! -20 C is pretty cold too!
F... Since most people here are from the US I always convert KM and Celsius to Miles and Fahrenheits to make it easier on everybody. And yeah even -20 C is still way too cold to work on the car, only when absolutely necessary.

And replacing the RAD must off been a pita! At least an oil change is done in 15-20 minutes...

·
Does this do anything?
2,716 Posts
I had to prime the fuel system on a Skytrak yesterday morning at -5 F. It's a pain when someone runs it out of fuel the night before and just leaves it there.

I also had to replace an alternator belt on a diesel Bobcat in the winter one time. It wasn't too cold, only about 10 F, but water had dripped down into the engine compartment after melting off the top of the radiator, and dripped right into the alternator where it froze. Then some idiot started it, and just stood there while it was squeeling for dear life, until the belt shredded off. And then said idiot proceeded to operate it until the battery died. I had to build a tent around the machine to heat it up enough to unfreeze the alternator, and then flip the cab off so I could get to the A/C compressor to remove that belt first since it is on the outside of the pulley. All in all, miserable day, wouldn't do it again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to hook up the charger and boost the wife's Crosstour a couple of weeks ago when it was -31 degrees F. It started right up with the extra juice. Got a block heater a couple of days later. Will be putting in an Optima come spring.

Installed new heavy duty leaf springs on my 69 IH pickup when it was in the teens once. That wasn't very fun.

J

·
Registered
9 Posts
F... Since most people here are from the US I always convert KM and Celsius to Miles and Fahrenheits to make it easier on everybody. And yeah even -20 C is still way too cold to work on the car, only when absolutely necessary.

And replacing the RAD must off been a pita! At least an oil change is done in 15-20 minutes...
yeah it took me about an hour and a half, that includes going inside to warm up. Getting the old rad out and the new one in went really smooth, it was bleeding the system that took way way way to long. my rad cracked at the top from the temps that my city has gone threw from being -2 C (28 F) which it was today down to -29 C (-20 F) which was 3 days ago. and in 5 months in June it will be 28 C (82 F).

·
Registered
346 Posts
i had to twist in a radiator cap in a hail storm with hurricane winds blowing and both my legs flailing in the air but if i could just make that 3/4 of a turn then all would be alright and the rainbows would come out. just kidding, i don't own a car. just kidding, i do

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
When I did my clutch/exhaust/O2 sensors over X-mas in Michigan, the temps dropped to single digits. I'm old so I have all the special tools like multiple size trim tools from big to tiny computer case sizes. Very conveniant to gently break every single plastic clip push pin, interior parts like the parking brake covers, etc. that I came across. Everything was so cold they were so brittle I might have well have used a giant screwdriver and hammer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
washed my car once in 36 F...
probably the coldest I've actually worked on it would be like 40...
I live in Houston TX, so I dont have to deal with the cold too much.. Def worked on my car in 104 F before... Humid as hell too

Ditto on this one. I've worked on putting on an exhaust in some 102-104 F and that was hot.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts