8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that's its been getting out, I've been noticing some loud noises coming from the engine during start-ups. I usually never let my car idle and warm-up, I just start driving softly and keep it under 3K till the car reaches normal op. temp.

But every morning when I start the car and go I can hear my engine, what sounds to me, like its being over-loaded. Like the sound it would make if you were in 5th going 35 mph and decided to slam on the gas in the same gear. Except louder.

Im thinking it's just because their isn't any oil circulation running through the engine yet causing this loud sound. Which isn't good... Anyone know what exactly this sound is?

Also is it that important to let the car warm-up at idle vs. driving it softly till it warms-up?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Never let the car idle. Driving it softly is much better on it than letting it idle. Plus, you're wasting gas and putting excess crap into the air when you let it idle. Driving it right away is better for the environment. :)

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
i normally drive the car under 3k rpm until the temp warm up to normal, but it's a pain to drive softly when the engine is still cold sometime, i think the car pull a lot harder than usual.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've always let it idle, I'm from Ohio so it gets pretty cold during the winter. I give it a minute or two, let the RPMs come down a little then go. I mean, that's probably your best bet, if that doesn't change the sound then maybe the dealership or a mechanic friend would be a good option.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eh, I do have some mods so taking it in might not be a good idea.

I'll let it sit before I get going, but it only does this while the engine is cold so I know that will stop it.

The noise isn't something odd. It just sounds like im loading the engine and it seems to resonate louder on a cold start than normal.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
What I've noticed is that at start up from long sits.. the engine idles longer, almost as if it's revving at a constant 1200-1300RPM's which may make it sound like its loud?
after it has warmed up though, the idle goes below 1000RPM and quiets down.. that might be what you're hearing?

What mods are they?
Unless it's a turbo or S/C, then I wouldn't worry too much about it... The "rule" is you can add your aftermarket things, but if it doesnt directly affect your problem, then they still have to check your car.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got pullies and also a CAI. Both of which are direct link to the engine which im sure they could put the blame on if something where wrong with my car.

It's really not a big deal, the sound goes away after a few minutes, but it does get quite loud and sounds like damage might be happening but idk. Wouldn't hurt to have it checked... I gotta take the car in anyway for them to fix it for that recall with the wheel caps or whatever.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
may be cold pullies.. I have a CAI and a catback, it idles loud when cold.. so it's not too big of a deal. They're just making more noise than stock components

I'm sure it isn't a big deal like you said, it's probably just noise from cold components running after a long sit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.