8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question buy i must ask...

As a daily commuter I drive in all weather conditions... Last night it was pouring... Rain everywhere....

Now with CAI..... would of of the water on the road possibly get sucked in by the CAI? Since i am a daily commuter is it wise to put a CAI on a car or is it just for those weekend cars?

Yes i am dumb =P

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know from experience, but yes it is possible from what i have read. But everyone says you have to hit a pretty damn big puddle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah it really depends on how deep the puddle is. You can get the by-pass valve for AEM CAI's. Never had any problems when I had it on my old EK.

Any idea if there is anything out for our cars yet?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm

if i end up getting the Si i hope that the AEM V2 will be available for it

only thing im scared about is that water will get in it.... which i dont want it to happen... or maybe even snow

Anyone had probs with this?

·
Registered
518 Posts
well first things first
If u get the aem v2, you cant use a bypass valve on the v2..

Secondly i put cold airs on all my whips
You would need to SUBMERGE IT totally in order to hydrolock it..
ive never had a problem, hit a few big puddles, but for the most part just try to avoid puddles and youll be str8.
Again the thing is you would have to have water about 1.5 to 2 feet deep for it to hydrolock.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
/\ THANKS! that helped alot

"If u get the aem v2, you cant use a bypass valve on the v2.."

you can bypass something using other intakes? What does that mean?

Also what is so special about the V2.... i just heard that its the best one out there.... is this true?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Im sure someone else can explain it better than i can but what it is is a funny looking thing that you put in between the pipes (you have to cut your intake), and it like catches all the little bits of water that gets sucked up!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Kabs said:
/\ THANKS! that helped alot

"If u get the aem v2, you cant use a bypass valve on the v2.."

you can bypass something using other intakes? What does that mean?

Also what is so special about the V2.... i just heard that its the best one out there.... is this true?
the bypass is a piece made for aem intakes(non v2)
and what it does is, it opens up when it senses water being sucked into the tube and releases it out of the intake avoiding sucking it into your engine...
I have heard that using a valve you loose a few horsepower..
And again a valve isnt really needed unless you live in a area like Louisiana, or houston that has flash floods where the streets flood 3 feet or something...
As far as the V2, and whats great about it, im not so sure.
I actually didnt go with aem v2 last time i bought a intake and went with Injen
The reason i choose the Injen is because it gave a lil more Torque then hp.
In comparison to the V2
And we all know hondas really need more tq

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info man....ill def consider that when i get a car...... would u recommend getting a short ram or CAI?

cuase i heard short ram increases torque while Cai does hp....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Kabs said:
thanks for the info man....ill def consider that when i get a car...... would u recommend getting a short ram or CAI?

cuase i heard short ram increases torque while Cai does hp....
yup i would ..
honestly though when u are considering these items, what you need to do is wait untill they post up the #'s these items are producing...
then take into a effect that with a cai u could hydrolock, or u get less hp with a ram do the math and figure out whats gonna work best for u..

in my last purchase
all i had to choose from at the time was cai's, so it was the injen with a lil more tq, or the v2 with a lil more hp.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
how big puddles are we talking about......... any other opinions?
it has to be a big enough puddle for your air intake to actually submerge into it.
They make a sock that covers your filter that helps out for it. I think injen makes it? I don't remember

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
IMO, the minute gain in power that a CAI has over an SRI (what, 2-4 hp MAX?) isn't even worth the risk. I ran a CAI on my accord for a couple years and there was only one time where I encountered enough water that I risked hydrolock. I had to disconnect the intake at the throttle body, get past the water and then hook it back up. luckily it was in a parking lot of my construction job so I had tools, but I still had to wade through water that came up over my knees. not long after I switched back to an SRI primarily because I got better gas mileage with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts