8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I’m looking for coilovers that favor comfort over performance. I dont have the slightest idea of the options available and I need some help. Nothing too expensive, just better that stock is all I need.

·
Registered
523 Posts
So are you looking to change your right height, or are you just wanting to improve the ride quality of your car?

Coilovers obviously give you a great deal of flexibility for adjusting your ride height, but I've noticed that they don't have as much "suspension travel" if that is the right word for it. My Godspeed Mono-RS coilovers have adjustable dampening and I found them to be smoother than the stock Si suspension when it came to just cruising down the road, but larger bumps and ruts would feel rougher. It's like the coilovers don't have as much travel before the progressive springs start firming up and making the bumps feel harsh.

So if you are looking to lower the car then coilovers might be for you, but they will almost certainly be rougher than the stock suspension in one way or another. If you aren't looking to lower the car then I'd look into an aftermarket set of springs and shocks to replace the stock ones. You could get a higher quality shock and a softer rated spring and you'll get a more floaty comfortable ride at the cost of cornering capability.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Which 8th gen do you have?

I'm assuming you would lower your car with said coilovers... you didn't provide a lot of info in your post...

Why would you lower your ride and expect comfort? It would seem comfort would be last on the list when coilovers are designed...

Sounds as if you would need softer spring rates but seems that would lead to "bottoming-out" on your suspension if you lower the ride height, which would damage components over time

You're probably better off buying a set of springs rather than coilovers. I don't know of any coilovers available that would give more ride comfort over the stock suspension

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you're looking for comfort then I would aim for a spring and strut combo like SiBurtonGuy mentioned. You could check out Koni and their SRT.T(Koni Orange) or Sports (Koni Yellows) struts. Or if you want to kinda stay oem with more of a comfort feel then you should check KYB and their struts and springs

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would recommend Koni STR.t (Oranges) and Tein S-Tech springs. Would lower your car a little more than an inch and still be relatively comfortable.

If you want coilovers I'd look in Tein Street Basis or Street Advance. A little higher spring rates but adjustable in height. Another one that might be worth looking into ST coilovers. They are made by KW so the quality should be good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
cyrus_gremlins
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing