8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know there are probably a million threads like this just couldnt find any.I'm looking to get a set of coils in the near future and just want to see if I can get my ducks in a row lol.Ok all I really want coilovers for is for the look,I dont take it to the track,its just my dd.Also one of my rear shocks are leaking:eek:hnoes:,
.It looks like the tein basics are the best bang for the buck but I dont know if they go low enough for me!I haven't seen any pics of them lowered LOW ,does that make any since??I do not want any wheel gap at all,I want it to tuck the tire a little.
So if any basic owners would like to chime in or anyone else with some advice I would greatly appreciate it.If anyone has any pics that would be great.:wavey:

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Even slamming Tein Basics is going to blow the dampers out in the Basics. They handle worse than stock and are unstable in emergency situations and slamming them is only going to make it worse. I've had Tein SS (Basics but adjustable) and Tein Flex. The SS are worse than stock in all conditions and the Flex are worse than stock but with higher limits. So, do you want to be superficial or avoid a accident and live? Your call.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Sirbelch said:
Even slamming Tein Basics is going to blow the dampers out in the Basics. They handle worse than stock and are unstable in emergency situations and slamming them is only going to make it worse. I've had Tein SS (Basics but adjustable) and Tein Flex. The SS are worse than stock in all conditions and the Flex are worse than stock but with higher limits. So, do you want to be superficial or avoid a accident and live? Your call.
judging by his post, he couldn't care less about much of anything besides "it being low enough for me"

...of course this is where i recommend again that you save money, replace that rear damper and just cut a couple coils off your stock springs.

you wanna talk about bang for your buck, that would be it! :smile:

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Is this what the world is coming too? Spending at least 800 bucks just to be superficial? Puting the life of your car and it's parts, your life and the life of other people on the road at risk just in the name of looks? I'd throw myself off a cliff if I started thinking that superficially.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Sirbelch said:
Is this what the world is coming too? Spending at least 800 bucks just to be superficial? Puting the life of your car and it's parts, your life and the life of other people on the road at risk just in the name of looks? I'd throw myself off a cliff if I started thinking that superficially.
that's what i'm saying!! he doesn't have to spend 800 bucks! an hour at a machine shop chopping coils couldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks, then just replacing that one damper. 300 bucks total max! it's a steal!

·
Registered
281 Posts
LucasBlack said:
judging by his post, he couldn't care less about much of anything besides "it being low enough for me"

...of course this is where i recommend again that you save money, replace that rear damper and just cut a couple coils off your stock springs.

you wanna talk about bang for your buck, that would be it! :smile:

:SHOCKED: WHAT?! ARE U CRAZY!!! :police: never cut springs. worst possible thing u could do. (suspensionwise) very, VERY dangerous. worse than superficial comment last posted. best case scenario for u my friend would be the tokico shocks with tien s-techs. :thumb: should get u where u want. if not, then some other set of springs. coilovers r more performance oriented. lowering springs are mainly looks, but with performance in mind as well. but when doing shocks, ALWAYS replace it pairs - therfore, change both rears at once. but if u do what lucas black just said, then :sadwavy:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Cuban Si said:
:SHOCKED: WHAT?! ARE U CRAZY!!! :police: never cut springs. worst possible thing u could do. (suspensionwise) very, VERY dangerous. worse than superficial comment last posted. best case scenario for u my friend would be the tokico shocks with tien s-techs. :thumb: should get u where u want. if not, then some other set of springs. coilovers r more performance oriented. lowering springs are mainly looks, but with performance in mind as well. but when doing shocks, ALWAYS replace it pairs - therfore, change both rears at once. but if u do what lucas black just said, then :sadwavy:
.....you're.....new around this forum, aren't you?
if you were around here a bit more, you'd know that my spring cutting suggestion is always made when i'm being ridiculously sarcastic and poking at someone's knowledge....
...and you wouldn't say that coilovers are "more performance oriented"
...and drop springs are looks....alone. with no regard to the well-being of their dampers or handling...
...you know, i'm really just regurgitating the stickies....maybe we should all just refresh ourselves with those, or read them for the first time if you haven't graced yourself with their fruits of knowledge already...

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Cuban Si said:
coilovers r more performance oriented. lowering springs are mainly looks, but with performance in mind as well.

I could put a set of springs and dampers (when they finally come out) together for 1200 that will destroy any set of coilovers on the market for 2000 or less at the track and on the street.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
To everyone reading this thread. Luke, Revy, and I are just messing around. However, we are doing so for a reason. Those stickies are there for a reason and have a wealth of knowledge. If you read them 2 or three times over and you still want to waste money on looks, I won't say a thing, promise.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Sirbelch said:
To everyone reading this thread. Luke, Revy, and I are just messing around. However, we are doing so for a reason. Those stickies are there for a reason and have a wealth of knowledge. If you read them 2 or three times over and you still want to waste money on looks, I won't say a thing, promise.
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sirbelch said:
Well I do care about handling and ride quality of coarse.The main reason I wanted them was for looks,and by the way thanks for all the sarcastic comments.I'm sure i'm not the only one who wants coils for looks,I mean if everyone on the board was exactly like yall then this would be a pretty boring place.

·
Registered
649 Posts
beezy06fg2 said:
Well I do care about handling and ride quality of coarse.The main reason I wanted them was for looks,and by the way thanks for all the sarcastic comments.I'm sure i'm not the only one who wants coils for looks,I mean if everyone on the board was exactly like yall then this would be a pretty boring place.

define "boring"....because i used to mainly be part of a board that was filled with nothing but people who wouldn't dare do something to their car unless it made it perform better....looks were quite a few rungs down on the ladder of importance. and i loved it.

would that be "boring" for you? perhaps.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldnt coilovers make me perform better??
I never said I didnt want to perform,I just said the main reason I wanted to get coils was for looks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts