8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(well this is my first standard car) just curious as to how long the clutch will last and what is considered "riding the clutch" if i'm just creeping... lets say in a drive threw ...and i have my foot partly on the clutch just enough to get it going to move about 5 feet is that considered "riding the clutch"?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It all depends on how you drive the car. If you abuse the crap out of it (power shifting, dumping the clutch, ect) then its not going to last you long at all. Some people have had to replace a clutch under 5k miles!! If you take care of it and dont abuse it, it should last you a while (70k+). Also, riding the clutch is when you drive around with your foot resting on the clutch pedal. Hope that answered your ??

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
riding the clutch is when the clutch is at the friction point (the point where you feel it catch) for a period of time longer than it takes to get going

you'll get the hang of it soon enough :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
changed my original clutch out of my 89 accord Lxi at 130k.
original clutch on my 97 gti vr6 was still good when i sold it at 125k.

power shifting is thine enemy.

·
Registered
956 Posts
realxlai said:
psh sok, ride that baby all day. its a honda clutch it'll last a LONG time
Hell Yea, My dads 86 Accord lasted 13 years on 3 clutches...around 250k.

Only time I am on the clutch, aside from shifting, is when I am driving in a shopping center parking lot in first or about to make a turn while downshifting. That considered riding the clutch?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts