8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been looking thru old threads about clutch wear, didn't really find what i was looking for..

i own a 07 si with about 6.5k miles on the odo
and i don't think im a bad driver .. lol
i've learned stick on a previous car, and was rusty at first when i got my si

i don't powershift and for the most part i drive conservatively
but occaisionally while driving to work in the morning i dont pay attention to the rev hang issue and i guess my shifting gets a little ehhh (only happens with 1->2 though)

so the problem is.. my clutch feels like it engages farther out than before
i don't quite remember where it engaged when i first got it, but for some reason it's been feeling different lately..
right now it engages about halfway.. so i'm wondering,

how far do you release until the clutch engages?

any help would be appreciateddddd =D

·
Banned
675 Posts
all the honda si's clutches let out about half way and are softer than other cars, I have a late model 06 and just test drove a new 08 to make sure this was right and they drove exactally the same .I love my si dont worry about your clutch at this time it shoud last you with even horrible driving 20k

i drove the **** out of my 03 ser-spec v and got 82k out of my clutch w/ mods

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I have seen several other people ask about the same think. I think the clutch feel changes slightly as it breaks in. I'm pretty sure mine did the same thing (07 EX MT). I remember thinking that it grabbed the instant the pedal came off the floor. It isn't like that any more. You should be fine.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mine was exactly the same.
The clutch felt really stiff when I first bought the car in Feb.
After about 6 months (only around 3k miles... I don't drive all that much), I noticed the clutch starting to feel quite different. (must softer)

This is completely normal.

As long as you're not "Riding the Clutch" (resting your foot on the clutch pedal, or keeping the clutch partially depressed while driving.), I wouldn't worry about it at all.

"Freewheeling" (keeping the clutch fully depressed) is perfectly fine (although it's considered not very safe to drive this way).

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
yah... i got mine feb 06 and at first it engaged right at the floor... now two years later and 30k+ later it engages half way but i only noticed at the end of last winter and its stayed there ever since... i though that i wrecked it a bit since i cam from learning and driving my dads 88 dokota and automatics... to this toucy beast. but i did/do powershift redline and burnouts... so i would say that its normal with moderate abuse too... not daily but once a month for sure...

the worst experience was pulling my dads truck the boat w/ trailer out of the lake... he got barried in the loos pebbles and there wasnt a soal for miles so i had to pull him out with my civic... it didnt go well and to save my clutch i decided that id rather loose some tires. but i got him out...

burning clutch dose not smell good atall.... problem is that a car with no torque will stall so you have no choice but to let the clutch slip...

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
That is definitely the first story I've heard where someone pulled a truck out with a Civic. Poor car:thumb:. I'm a bit surprised it worked, but hey you do what you have to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts