8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I went to the local dragstrip today and it went very poorly.

This was my 1st run!.

Here is the breakdown:

Launched at 4000RPM, little bit of tire spin.

Power shifted into 2nd gear, againt a tad bit of tire spin.

Shifted into 3rd RPM's went up nothing happened.
I thought i missed 3rd so I tried again, RPM's went up and nothing happened.

Put the car in 4th and limped into the pits.

I was able to drive the car home using VERY light throttle, but my clutch pedal is now VERY stiff.

If I cruise in any gear and use light throttle the car behaves normally, if I use anything over light throttle the RPM's jump up like im in neutral.

The car still shifts perfectly fine, and I still MUST use the clutch to change gears and that works as usual just with a stiff as clutch.

Is the clutch glazed and burnt to hell?
Is the adjuster out of wack?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vantage

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Im assuming you had this tuned professionally with the FP? Only thing I can think of is a short with the DBW.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car is running a hondata basemap.

The engine sounds completely fine, revs normally.

Another note. I had no smoke or clutch smell at the track or the limped drive home.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talked to my parents mechanic neighbour he suspects a throwiut bearing.

Please throw out your opinions.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
lol nice play on words, just like the Canucks are going to get thrown out of the playoffs haha.

Ok sorry Luke, this is not good news, I blew my clutch before in my old truck and it didn't catch at all, I had to go full throttle to get any sort of momentum and it took a long time to get up to 35 mph. That is my experience of a toasted clutch so your neighbor may be right about your situation. That is all.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
sounds like your pressure plate went out. stiff pedal and slippage under load would lead me to believe your pressure plate took a crap.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
sounds like some part of something is keeping the pressure plate from fulling engaging the clutch.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Most likely, your clutch is glazed! I had the same thing happen to me before at the drag strip. It gave up on me when shifting into 2nd, threw it in 3rd, RPMs goes up, but didn't grab; same with 4th. Gear engagements are fine, just can't go over 20% throttle. The very next day, I drove 6 hours on it and got my new clutch kit/cams installed.

btw, at the time i did had the stock clutch paired with an ACT 8.4 prolite flywheel; maybe the flywheel was too light for the stock clutch.

·
there is no spoon
16,809 Posts
Sorry to hear about this ish Luke, not the best start to your track career. You're going to need a new clutch kit (throwout, clutch, pressure plate) they all wear together so you'll need to replace it all at once anyways.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dang.

Oem or aftermarket decission now presents itself.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Competition stage2 + lighweight flywheel get installed on saturday.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the car will be done in 3-4 hours, but the shop called me with the problem.

2 problems happens:

A) The pilot bearing fell out as they were taking apart the tranny, they have no idea why but it was not in good shape.

B) The overtightened itself. The reason why I had so many issues was not that I burnt the clutch, it was because on my 2-3 shift the clutch tightened itself so much it was always 50% engages, causing part throttle slippage I had noticed on my way home.

Luckily the only problems pieces are the pieces I am getting replaced, the tranny itself is in good shape.

I will post my review on the CC stage2+flywheel when I get it broken in.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
1000 KM's. to go according to CC's webpage.

I wont be taking any chance's not breaking it in properly.

*I lie, checking their webpage is 500 miles, so 1000 KM's.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Most likely, your clutch is glazed! I had the same thing happen to me before at the drag strip. It gave up on me when shifting into 2nd, threw it in 3rd, RPMs goes up, but didn't grab; same with 4th. Gear engagements are fine, just can't go over 20% throttle. The very next day, I drove 6 hours on it and got my new clutch kit/cams installed.

btw, at the time i did had the stock clutch paired with an ACT 8.4 prolite flywheel; maybe the flywheel was too light for the stock clutch.

movie

cant run aftermarket flywheels with stock discs... waaayy too light

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I've read that it's better to use the OEM throwout bearing than the aftermarket one on our cars. Has anyone else heard that too?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts