8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my civic doesnt drive very nice when its close to or below freezing temps.
The shifting just isnt good, and it feels like the clutch components just arent working properly as they should.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
I suspect the people who suggest the Si's performance is better cold have never lived in the true Midwest. If you think your car has tranny issues, try it overnight in Minnesota :D and then talk to me. Haha.

The Si is an untamed beast in the cold weather (below zero to freeze point). The clutch feels like molasses, the shifter is notchier than it ever normally is, and the gear kick outs and grinding are almost guaranteed.

Letting it warm up does solve the problem, yes, but I usually don't have time to let it warm up for 10-15 minutes so it can run at a decent temperature.

Only thing you can really do is baby the car (and that means driving like a grandma and shifting at pre 3K) with firmness on the shifter, and just wait until the engine to warm up so the car starts operating like normal (or as close to normal as it can get).

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it has nothing to do with a warm engine/trans. Because it actually feels worse and worse the longer i drive.
I had to go pick up somthing the other night, it was about a 100mile trip, through the city, the temp was probably 0 degrees. But anyways, it just seems like as soon as i let go of the clutch to accellerate, it doesnt feel smooth like when its warm out. the car bucks a little.
This goes on for every gear, not just first. And the only way to make it smooth is if i just let the clutch go fast, instead of smooth.
It sucks!, it might be the DBW as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, it has nothing to do with a warm engine/trans. Because it actually feels worse and worse the longer i drive.
I had to go pick up somthing the other night, it was about a 100mile trip, through the city, the temp was probably 0 degrees. But anyways, it just seems like as soon as i let go of the clutch to accellerate, it doesnt feel smooth like when its warm out. the car bucks a little.
This goes on for every gear, not just first. And the only way to make it smooth is if i just let the clutch go fast, instead of smooth.
It sucks!, it might be the DBW as well.
If you experience the bucking when your letting the clutch out it could mean you have a warped clutch/flywheel. I havent read this thread through though. I admit, i skimmed :p Just giving my 2 cents.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you live in cold weather, try looking into changing your fluids out to using synthetics oils like mobil 1 motor oil and amsoil synthetic synchromesh. they flow better under extreme cold and should help you avoid any grinding before it gets to full operational temperatures. once the car is warm though, the shifting is butter smooth!

if you are bucking your car, you probably need to let the clutch out a bit smoother.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts