8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just letting you guys know...

I had a clunking sound in my rear suspension, which sounded like it came from the rear right. I took it to my local Honda repair shop, and they fixed it. I was guessing it was an issue with the bushing on the shock (and even bought a bushing just in case)... but the shop fixed it by simply putting a washer there.

Apparently there was play in the rear left suspension, causing it to clunk at lower speeds. With just a washer, the clunk sound is completely gone. Cost me $102.50 to fix, ($100 labor and I'm guessing $2.50 for washer, lol)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
lol interesting ... i have the same clunking noise from my rear suspension as well ... where exactly did they install the washer? above the bump stop where the nut screws down too or below it?

might give this a try if i can figure out where they put the new washer

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
R18 or Si?

My suspensions been doing the same thing, being clunky but it could be totally irrelevant as i have a R18 and you may have a civic.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Civic Si, using the Mugen Sports suspension. I installed it myself with a friend, and I'm pretty sure we didn't leave any parts out. Considering the Mugen SS is just the OEM Showas revalved, don't think it was the suspension itself. There was no clunk sound for 30k miles, and it started squeaking maybe 10k miles ago. That squeak turned into a full-on clunk maybe 2000 miles ago.

Have no idea where they put the washer =( As for being a lot of money, yeah the repair shop in general is on the pricey side, but they're good at what they do and are very friendly. $100 is the default they charge for a diagnostic. Says they used a 10mm washer.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
if you possibly get a chance can u check and see if they put the washer on top where the nut screws down into? doesnt have to be right now but if you get a chance

edit: or it could be on the lower bushing where the shock connects to the hub assembly

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't I have to roll back the carpet or something? D: I'll take a pic when I can. I think the washer was added toward the top, near the perch.

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
bushings wear out, mine wore out quicker after all my track days/canyon runs. I replaced mine and now its good as new.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I figured it was bushings, which is why I bought a new one and brought it to the dealer. They didn't even use it...

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
stance coilovers does not clunk btw.
oh, i dont blame the coils at all. i had the same issue when i had the ksports.

bushings wear out, mine wore out quicker after all my track days/canyon runs. I replaced mine and now its good as new.
sweet. looks like i'll be heading to the dealer.

or can i get the bushing somewhere else?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Also hearing noises that sounds like "crrg" at the rear when rolling on road imperfections at certain speeds. Would appreciate the pics so I can check mine.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Blegh, I was right, they installed the washer on the right side, even though the service person said left. I knew the clunk was from the right. Huck, you can buy it for about $1 online, plus shipping. I can send it to you if you pay like the $1 for shipping, lol. Doesn't make much difference cost-wise though.

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/...tionID=13899&illustration=REAR SHOCK ABSORBER

Here are the pics:

Left side, no washer

Right side, washer

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
nice! thx aki for the pics ... i'm gunna give this a try in a lil bit n see if it helps me out as well

EDIT: just went out and installed some washers on both sides ... the clunking noise is still there but it is a lot less noticeable and annoying now lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts