8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had skunk 2 springs installed on my 08 4-dr Si and starting hearing this clunking noise immediately after. I took my car back and had the installation tech look at it and it was determined that the aftermarket front springs aren't 'flat' at the top and botom like the stock springs, therefore it's not seating as expected and creating a sort of roll with the springs.

The tech said that he had seen this before and they had replaced the skunk2's with Sprint Springs...and the noise stopped. I didn't see alot of good or bad feedback on the Sprint Springs so I opted to have them order Neuspeed Race springs instead of Sprint. They ordered the springs and I should have them installed by end of week. I'm hoping the noise stops...but after reading this thread, i'm concerned reaplacing the springs isn't the fix. :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
this happened to me as well they tightened the bolts but it didn't do the trick so they ended up replacing a part on the car and its good as new

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
Has any 1 had this issue on an 06 ? I was getting popping and snapping noises from like under my feet under take off,hard stops, and turning for over a year and now it seems to have faded. It dosen't show it affecting the 06's though i have the extended warranty so i would assume they would replace it for me as well..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had skunk 2 springs installed on my 08 4-dr Si and starting hearing this clunking noise immediately after. I took my car back and had the installation tech look at it and it was determined that the aftermarket front springs aren't 'flat' at the top and botom like the stock springs, therefore it's not seating as expected and creating a sort of roll with the springs.

The tech said that he had seen this before and they had replaced the skunk2's with Sprint Springs...and the noise stopped. I didn't see alot of good or bad feedback on the Sprint Springs so I opted to have them order Neuspeed Race springs instead of Sprint. They ordered the springs and I should have them installed by end of week. I'm hoping the noise stops...but after reading this thread, i'm concerned reaplacing the springs isn't the fix. :(
It was the Skunk2's! Had Neuspeed Race springs put in yesterday and the noises are all gone! :clapping:

·
Registered
248 Posts
anyone had this issue with a 2010 automatic ? when i back out of my drive way slow and i have to turn the wheel all the way and when i put it from R to D theres a Clankish sound but it only does it when its turned all the way, if im straight i can put it in D to R with no noise

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
damn, ive taken my car to honda a few times they couldn't fix it, and it would only do it if i had fat ppl in the car. now i can go back with something rather than them tell me im crazy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just took my 09 SI in for this after reading several comments from several owners with several different causes.

They looked it over and said that it was a "Damper" and that Honda knows about it but does not have the fix ready yet. Said I would either receive a notice or they would pick it up when I come in for service the first time the fix is available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just took my 2010 in for the clunking noise. 2 of the bolts were loose on the steering box. I mention the same thing last year and they could not find a problem. You would think that the Honda data base might have a link to clunking noise in front end, check SB#09-028. Still a great car. It is just the dealership that sometimes make it frustrating.

<2 cents added>

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone tried to get this fixed thru the dealership once the car is out of warranty? I purchased my Si in January and it was already out of warranty.

I called the local dealer and they're familiar with the problem but said the bulletin is only for their technicians and not a recall so I will be likely charged for labor. It seems to me that given the large number of vehicles affected that there should be a recall or a free of charge fix.

Anyone know of where I should direct my letter to Honda as I'd like to voice my displeasure?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Has anyone tried to get this fixed thru the dealership once the car is out of warranty? I purchased my Si in January and it was already out of warranty.

I called the local dealer and they're familiar with the problem but said the bulletin is only for their technicians and not a recall so I will be likely charged for labor. It seems to me that given the large number of vehicles affected that there should be a recall or a free of charge fix.

Anyone know of where I should direct my letter to Honda as I'd like to voice my displeasure?
Call American Honda and make a complaint!

Stupid stupid question. I still have the powertrain warranty on my car. The gearbox this TSB reffers to is part of the powertrain still right??

·
Registered
2 Posts
09' LX Coupe started doing this about a month ago, surprisingly has not made an appearance until now. I am confused reading all these replies...some fixed by tightening, some not...and some fixed by entirely different means, but for the same noise? lol

I am guessing it will be a matter of diag. Might take a look at this myself with the knowledge received from this thread. Anyone know a link or location to check torque specs for the powertrain or general torque specs for the car? thnx

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
have the same noise. I have prokit springs and tokico shocks. ive heard it could be the bumpstops and im going in honda tomorrow morning to bring these TSB's. would they charge me? or would they do it free of charge since it is a recall for my 08 civic ex-l.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
went to honda today and showed them the TSB. they were gunna charge me 66 bucks to retorque the bolts in the gear box and wanted to charge me over 200 to change out the bumpstops. And they didnt guarantee that it will stop the noise. F**** honda!! I am deff trading this piece of s*** for much better car. SMH honda (n)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I ended up emailing the head service manager and explained my situation. Basically, "I have used your service dept from day one, I'm a full time student and work full time. I think it would be a nice gesture for you to have a tech look at and re torque my steering box for free and see if that solves the problem. If it does than that's great. If it doesn't I'll pay the labor fee to figure out what the issue is.

He emailed me back, checked and re torqued my steering box bolts and I haven't had the pop/bang noise when turning ever since. That was in July. Goodluck!

81 - 100 of 139 Posts