8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i know you hear a small clunk when turning the wheel from side to side on the regular but if my car has been parked w/ the wheel cut to one side when i begin to cut the wheel there is a very loud clunk noise it happens at least 4x a week i dont know that its anything serious but wondering if anyone else has this problem or a suggestion how to fix it.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
i'm lowered, but it might help you out.

a few nights ago i hit a long very uneven road. next more every time o hiy a mild bump it would clunk as well.

pulled the wheel off, and noticed that the spring had shifted and was causing the issue. i say you just take her in, should be covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like a CV Axle is going bad. You can check them a couple ways. The first is by jacking up both sides of your car and placing jack stands to secure it from falling on you. Making sure both front tires are off the ground (not to insult your intelligence :p) have someone start your car, put it in first gear, and let out on the clutch. As the front tires spin, have the drive turn all the way to the left and listen for the noise, then have them do it again turned all the way to the right. Whichever side makes the thunking/grinding/crappy noise is the bad CV Axle. If that doesn't work or their is no noise, turn the car off, slide underneath, grasp the CV Axle shaft and shake it up down left and right. If it seems loose or makes a thunking noise, it is bad. Again, do this for both sides.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had popping noise from my 08 SI took to the dealership they said the steering gear box was loose and there is a TSB on it...

Check it out - When i would turn my wheel all the way to the left or right and turn the opposite way i would hear a loud pop on my steering. So hopefully that can help you out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.