8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the boards and read that quite a few people are having the same problem.

2007 Civic Coupe EX, picked up in mid-June.
problem first occured at 4xxx odo

1. No, it's not the TSB about the front suspension as shown in sticky. This is actually a problem with the front disc brake.

2. No, the CV joints are fine.

2. Basically the noise occurs right when I hit the brake at very low speed (~10km/hr). The sympton happens quite often in the morning during cold start when I drive up from garage. Later we found out that the noise would also occur if brake when backing.

3. Turned out it's the brake pad which was loose and therefore allowed movement inside the caliper. The noise is created by the brakepad, driven by the rotor during braking, hitting against the caliper given there's actually enough gap inside that allows movement. This explains why the noise occurs only when changing direction (i.e., forward or backward).

4. The solution was quite simple (please do not quote me on this but these are told in person by the technician as well as descriptions on the service report):

-wheel off
-brakepad disassembled
-re-apply lubricant inside the brake
-re-tighten brakepad
-wheel back on

The dealer was able to locate the problem with only one test drive (I drove) and solved it, I was impressed. They also mention that my civic is not the first car to have this problem. It also occurred to other honda models such as 7th gen Accord, etc. This makes me wonder if the procedures for the assembly of brakes while the cars were being manufactured are actually flawed... But for now, 500km since the repair the noise is unheard of.

Just thought I'd share.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
:eek:hsnap:

GJ...

:thumb:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been having an intermittent "clunk/pop" from the left front end while braking, it happens sometimes in the morning and sometimes throughout the day, its very annoying.
4k on the odo bought in Sept 1, 07.Thanks for posting this, Im going to print it out and
bring to the dealership for service, sounds like the same problem....

·
Registered
54 Posts
i think i read something about this in a IS300 forum, lexus never did fix it but called it some sort of "floating" brake pad. at least honda got that fixed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Waw. What do you know. So it is not normal and all 8th Gens have this problem.
Mine does it. I have taken it to the dealer a couple of times and you all know what their answer was.
Doesn't this movement create a lot of tear on a long run?
Subscribed and vote for sticky

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same exact problem. Just came back from the dealer and they fixed it. Just like he said, they applied a paste (molicode paste) cleaned it and done. It's amazing he showed me the bulletin they had at the dealer and in one part it said "If customer does not believe what you tell them then cut a business card into 4 small pieces and place at both ends of the brake pad, do not worry about card it will burn up and go away from all the heat" I was like wth? but he did say that this paste was only temporary and that if the noise comes back then just take it back to them. :biggrin:

·
Registered
26 Posts
clunking noise during breaking at dealership

took my 07 civic sedan in for the clunk/pop when depressing the brake pedal today.My car has 5.5k been having the noise since 3.5k.The service guy gave
me a 07 accord v6 as a loaner.He printed out for me a piece of paper that basically states its normal on all hondas and its to allow for movement of the brake pad and corrosoin.It goes on to say if the customer doesnt believe you then put a business card as shim for the brake pads and reinstall.Im sure I would be unhappy if my brakes popped/clunked like this for the rest of the cars life....They will call me tomorrow.....my 95 civic with 150k never had any kind of abnormal brake problems....clunks or pops...funny my 07 accord loaner doesnt have that clunk or pop....?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It took them two times but they finally fixed it and the noise is magically absent.They did say it was a one time deal because when the grease from the shims wear off it will click again....

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
WOW TWO YEAR BUMP!

nice...

also, damm! i've been here for 3 years? thats a long ass time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering if the clunking-groaning sound I hear at low speeds when applying the brake and only going forward is this loose brake pad. Thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts