8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I'm turning the steering wheel, I get a very quiet clicking sound, as if fairly taught rubber bands were being plucked at the rate of maybe 5 per second. I've had this for a number of years, but it's lately gotten louder. I don't feel anything when I'm steering; I'm just hearing this noise.

I hear it a lot more when I'm parking than driving, just because the sound is so soft and there's less noise to interfere when I'm parking.

The car is an '08, has 142k, but it's been doing it probably for at least half of that mileage. (I bought it at 35k, in early 2012.

Has anyone else had this? Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like maybe the clock spring, easy to swap out if that's the issue.
Any issues with the steering wheel controls (Cruise, horn, Etc.)?
It turned out the power steering fluid needed to be replaced. I found that by googling. And now the noise is totally gone.

The peculiar thing is that I had a '93 Saturn SL2 up to 147k and I never replaced the fluid and it never had a problem. I also had a '99 Accord up to 200k, and also no replacement of fluid (unless the previous owner, who had the car to 67k replaced it), and no steering noise.

The Civic had been making this noise for probably the last 20-30k, but it had recently gotten louder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts