8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1105 Posts

·
Registered
16,395 Posts
lol I read the thread title and I thought this would be how to get rid of the haze on old headlights lol :facepalm:

And in "clearing them." haha I saw the tools listed and I'm like whaaa?

it's to clear the side marker :pat: haha

·
Registered
222 Posts
Great DIY... Can't wait to do this to my GG FG2. Just curious though; although I don't have any retros or anything, just the stock headlights, while I have the headlight opened up, is there anything I could paint black that won't effect light output? (Looking to black out as much as possible while I have them open without effecting light...) Thanks!

·
Vendor
539 Posts
is there anything I could paint black that won't effect light output? (Looking to black out as much as possible while I have them open without effecting light...) Thanks!
It is absolutely ok to paint the inner part on projector type headlights, as it has nothing to do with the light output, and the light beam is projected through a lens itself.

However, it is a way different story with the reflector type headlights, because the light from the Low/High beam bulb is reflected by the inner part of the headlight and aimed to the road. If you paint it - the light will not be reflected properly.

Painting or tinting may not always be the best idea, as you can easily get an aftermarket set of black euro headlights with blacked out mirror-like reflectors, that are DOT approved and absolutely street legal.
Check out Civic lights here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
^ Is this proven? I remember black housing my 93 accord's headlight housings with no output lost at all. Really want to black house my headlights while saving up for a retrofit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good DIY, anyone in Canada have any issues with moisture after resealing? I'm looking to do this, but with our extreme climate I don't know if I'd run into fogging/moisture:(

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just mend the seal good like flatten the glue channel before you put it back together. Heat it good and seal and you should be fine. I dont have issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If anyone will clear the lights and are going to trow the unbroken orange bits away and would like to donate them to me, here in Brazil we don't have the orange indicators and I like them better but customs taxes would make importing the headlights a very expensive job just for the orange indicators.

1081 - 1100 of 1105 Posts