8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the carbon fiber need to get a clear coat over it when you get it. so it prevents the fade / discolor of the hood ?

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Yes.... i would recomend that you do.....
keep it nice and wax all the time too.... it looks real nasty when fadded

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I think VIS hoods come with a "gell" coat. You can just keep it waxed for a while, but get it cleared within 6 months or so. They start to look yellow and greenish when they fade. No good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know it comes with a flim on the top but its not a clear coat nd ive heard that its a really smart idea to get that extra protection on the carbon fiber......i dnt want it to get alll grosss

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had mine clear coated back when I still had my em1. I would highly suggest getting it clear coated. When I did mine it also made the carbon deeper in appearance.

·
Premium Member
6,929 Posts
The carbon fiber isn't the part that yellows - the clear coat itself is what yellows over time.

My understanding of gel coats is that they won't yellow for several years if ever as long as they are properly maintained. Clear coated hoods will all yellow over time, but that period of time varies largely depending on the quality of paint work and amount of exposure to the sun.

Your RR hood more than likely came with a very basic clear coat. It will fade over time, but it is fixable. Any paint and body shop should be able to restore it to it's original luster once it has faded.

·
Registered
60 Posts
probably inproper mixture of the gel coat to hardner. the hardner i use is bright greenish blue. only way it can be fixed is if you sand down just about the cf to remove most of the green, then re-layer it with a laminating resin, the clear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts