8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an older 06 and the paint is rough. And I feel like I can do this myself... with some direction.

Hoping to get some opinions on if I can get away with sanding down the clear and re applying or should I add a base then clear ?

I’m also curious what size grit of wet sand paper to complete such a job. I’ve heard 400-600 grit then base/clear. Anything finer the base won’t stick well

thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
thats the 06 paint problem. happening to mine too. you cant fix it. it will come back and worsen. complete re-do is the only way to fix it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sanded the clear off to the base. I think added a quick layer of primer, then three coats of base, three coats of clear.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I too just did this to my '06. Royal Blue Pearl color. I called Honda to see if I could shame them into covering some or all of my clearcoat failure issues from the (now expired) extended paint warranty. They said no. ;-(
I sanded and sprayed color and 2K clear. I had a fair amount of orange peel, as this was my 1st attempt with a spray gun - still it looks so much better than the white spots I had on the rood and trunk lid.

Well done!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts