8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I finally made enough money to buy a SI! However my friend is urging me to buy an evo 8. I have driven both cars and love them to bits. However, I am worried about the reliability/full cost of an evo 8. The specs on the evo are 03 evo with 60 thousand miles or a civic Si 2008 sedan with 25 k miles on it (navi too).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
evo will cost you alot to maintane...i had a 450 hp dd evo 8...how much are the car's...i want a evo x...but it's to much of a hassle for a dd..

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I would not buy a 03 Evo 8 being 7 years later personally. I'd keep your SI and work on boosting it in the future if u want more power.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Get the Si. It'll run reliably for you forever. It's not a speed demon by any means, but for a DD, it's the only logical choice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i want a evo 9 myself but i wouldnt be able to maintain it. go with an si. i have a boost fa5 and am having fun playing with evo's and sti's

·
Registered
217 Posts
I say get the Si, because of the joy of waking up in the morning and knowing your car will start... HAHA! Seriously though an Si is a lot of fun even though it is not as fast as an Evo. The best part is since it is a Honda it will run for a long time if you take care of it and you can buy a really fun second car that does not have to be too reliable in the future.
Cliffs: Si=Great DD, but not race car

·
Registered
646 Posts
:yeahthat: another reason to shy away from an 03 is because alot of them have already been modded (not always done right) or beaten to hell and back

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would try to find an evo bb like here. See what kind of money those guys put into their cars for required stuff. Also ask for maintenance records for both cars. The evo may have been a trade in due to major required work that needed to be done. If none of this is available I would pick the Si. Though your going to get biased opinions here. A turbo car runs a lot more for maintenance then an NA car such as the Si.

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
It will be a lot more fun raping most cars with a boosted SI over just being boosted in the evo get the SI you wont regret it..

·
Registered
740 Posts
Post this question on an Evo forum and see the response you get.

Seriously though, the Evo will be a maintenance whore, but AWD and 276hp (correct me if I'm wrong) would definitely be fun. The Honda will be reliable and VTEC is a blast, but I would verify that the VIN is out of the 3rd gear issue range.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
I am not bias at all the evo would be a blast with awd to me the SI seems like it would be more exciting..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they are both going to be around 16 grand....I have looked at both, both real nice :) I also looked a cooper s! Man those things handle like CRAZY!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I haven't driven one of the '09 or '10 Evo's, nor have I ridden in one. The older Evo's were sick fast, but a real piece of crap in the quality department. The interior looked like it was thrown together in a real hurry! Nothing really fit very good and it was crap. One of my co-workers had one for about 9 months before he traded it in on a V-6 '07 Mustang (another real POS). I drove the Evo a few times and rode in it a lot. It had more rattles, creaks and groans that anything else I've ever been in.
My '08 FA5 Si isn't as fast, but it's pretty damn quick, handles great, and has zero rattles, creaks, or groans! Trust me, the Evo is NOT fun to drive for any length of time!

Tom

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
I used to own an Evo IX. It's a great car and fun to drive but keeping it up is a bit. Just changing the tranny,transfer case,and rear diff fluid costs about $150 just for the fluid. Not to mention the parts cost an arm and a leg. I would go with the si.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
f you dont have any kids, go for the evo.

if its stock and motor sounds good, passes a good eye inspection, get the evo. you wont regret it. get it and enjoy it.

just keep up with the maintenence. basic boltons and a tune will be pretty quick.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts