8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I recently noticed a strange noise coming from my 8th gen Civic Si and it's more noticeable at cold start. It's almost a cricket sound and the noise goes away every time if I slightly push in the clutch pedal. It comes back if I let off.
I don't know if its the TOB or input shaft bearing or something else, I took a video hoping somebody can comment on this.
Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It won't let me post a video, the title to the youtube is is "8th Civic Si Transmission Noise" and youtube video id# qXQJ5CMoYt0

·
Registered
2 Posts
The throwout bearing only turns when pressing the clutch pedal down, engaging it against the pressure plate which is moving. Correct me if I'm wrong but the tob shouldn't make noise if the car is idling and not moving.
I have the same issue as OP presently so I'm curious to what he found once the tranny was repaired.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the TOB with still make noise even if the car is not moving because the engine is sping the flywheel which is bolted to the pressure plate which the TOB presses on when the clutch is pressed

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anyone have a definitive answer for this noise? I am having the same problem with my 08 SI, and thats with a rebuilt motor and pretty new clutch.

All my research points to the "pilot bearing" for the crankshaft, but our cars only have bushings for the transmission input shaft into the motor.

So that only leaves the bearings inside of the transmission on the mainshaft and/or countershaft.

It is NOT the throwout bearing because the noise goes away when the clutch is disengaged (pedal is pressed) and the noise is in neutral or in gear (noticeable at high revs); all times when the throw-out should not be touching the pressure plate.

The only other thing it could be is the the throw-out bearing just barely touching the pressure plate when it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the same problem since i bought my 12' Si 2 months ago w/40k Miles.

Buzz noise from disengaging clutch in first from a dead stop. Does not seem to affect the car in any way. I'll just ignore it for now.

My 08' SI clutch spring was squeaked every time u pushed the pedal in. Drove like that for 6 years no issues.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The only other thing it could be is the the throw-out bearing just barely touching the pressure plate when it shouldn't be.
this would be my guess. if it was your main/input shaft bearings, you'd be hearing a grinding/whirring noise and not chirping. the cricket noise makes me think its a metal on metal, barely touching type of situation and there's only a few places in the transmission that would have that kind of interaction.

might be worth a clutch bleed...maybe your slave cylinder isn't disengaging from the clutch fork entirely and riding the TOB enough to keep it touching the pressure plate.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The TOB does not touch the rotating mass of the flywheel/pressure plate until you bring the pedal down and push the clutch fork against the back of the TOB which then engages the fingers on the Pressure Plate. A misadjusted Clutch pedal will always have the ToB "riding" the clutch, thats why proper adjustment and keeping your foot off the clutch unless shifting is important.

To help with understanding how simple a clutch is for those who don't know how it works: Think of the PP/Flywheel as a sandwich with the clutch inside it and the ToB opens the sandwich and you can rotate the clutch without moving the outside sandwich pieces.

Press clutch pedal > Fluid moves slave cylinder > Clutch fork moves away from slave > pushes ToB towards PP/ flywheel > PP springs disengages > Clutch friction disc and transmission now disengaged from the PP/ Flywheel which is rotating from the engine.

Noises when driving a manual:
Cricket, whine, chatter, rattle when engaging clutch and riding in 1st or reverse from a stop = Throw out bearing (sometimes when the Tob is toast it happens every shift, or you cant shift)

Whine all the time = could be a pilot bearing / crank bushing. However this only supports the nose of the input shaft and rarely makes noise unless the transmission bearings are shot and allowing the nose to walk.

Whine, cricket, rattle, chirping, thunking that goes away when clutch is pressed = Transmission issue (you're decoupling the trans from the spinning engine, when it goes away you are eliminating any movement in the trans and thus stopping any sounds from motion)

Constant rattling and issues shifting = Clutch failure (pressure plate/ Throw out bearing) or severe transmission failure

·
Registered
9 Posts
'07 Civic Si making similar noise

I listened to the OP's video, and it sounds like my car started out earlier this year. The sound has recently gotten louder and doing it more often & for longer periods, and I was about to make a post asking for help on this problem myself.

I tried to add a video, but it won't let me. You can find it on Youtube under #K3MkS-vg2ac.

Problem: 2007 Civic Si squealing/whining noise with clutch disengaged (pedal out). Noise disappears when clutch is pressed in. Squeal/whine noticeable at idle, and seems proportional to RPMs, peaking around 2500 RPM, at which point there is a noticeable vibration when sitting in neutral. Above 2500 the vibration and sound seems to subsist. Fully or even slightly pressing in on clutch pedal seems to eliminate the noise. This seems to happen on a cold start, and subsides shortly on warmup, though it's starting to last longer now.

Background: I have ~211k miles on my car now. I've had the car since about 60k miles (bought in 2010), and as far as I know, it's all original stock with original clutch, tranny, etc. I did change out the transmission fluid in 12/15 (175k mi.-used Honda fluid), and also changed out the clutch and brake fluids in 7/16 (182k mi). I do recall also the gears sticking a little/hard shifting in August of this year (8/17-205k), and I performed a clutch adjustment according to info and the associated links I found on the forum. That seemed to solve the hard shifting problem, and all seemed fine for a while.

The noise has just started in the last few months to a year. Sorry, but I can't remember exactly when because it started out as a pretty slight, very brief noise only on cold starts on colder mornings, and I mostly ignored it. I would say it started in the Spring maybe. Unfortunately, I can't say for sure if this noise began before or after the clutch adjustment I mentioned earlier, but I don't remember a correlation, and I'm pretty sure I would have noted that if it was the case. Originally it used to do it only when colder outside, and only on cold starts, and would last only a few seconds on startup before stopping. Lately it's gotten worse, and is doing it most times when I crank the car, and is making the noise for a longer period of time before stopping. I replaced the serpentine/accessory belt, since the old one looked a little cracked anyhow, and I thought this might be the cause. I tried to inspect the pulleys when changing the belt too (for sure the idler and tensioner pulleys), and they seemed to be fine from visual inspection.

The car still makes the noise after changing the belt. It's possible changing the belt made it even louder. I did take a quick video, and I also noticed that the noise goes away when the clutch is engaged (pushed down), and comes back when the clutch is released (pedal up). It does make the noise at idle, and with the car in neutral- it's just dependent on the clutch position. I'll try to attach a zipped video if I can figure out how to do that (it kept getting rejected). It will also make the noise when starting out, at least in first and second gears. It used to fade away pretty quickly, so by the time I hit 3rd gear it would have been gone. The noise would not come back after the car had been driven for a while. Just recently, it's been making the noise longer (and louder), and I did hear it happening in higher gears as well after listening for this.

I've been reading some stuff about clutch-dependent noises on Civics, and one possibility would seem to be the input shaft bearing (ISB). The videos I've seen of this seem to be a different noise though, so I'm not sure that's the problem. My noise started out more like the OP's video here, from what I can tell. I was hoping one of the experienced posters here could help me out, and that I'm not looking at major transmission issues.

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Noises when driving a manual:
Cricket, whine, chatter, rattle when engaging clutch and riding in 1st or reverse from a stop = Throw out bearing (sometimes when the Tob is toast it happens every shift, or you cant shift)
My noise is when DISENGAGING clutch (pushing pedal to floor is disengaging).. I believe this is the throw out bearing because [it is my understanding that] it is only when disengaging the clutch that the TOB comes into contact with the pressure plate

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I recently noticed a strange noise coming from my 8th gen Civic Si and it's more noticeable at cold start. It's almost a cricket sound and the noise goes away every time if I slightly push in the clutch pedal. It comes back if I let off.
I don't know if its the TOB or input shaft bearing or something else, I took a video hoping somebody can comment on this.
Thank you
Just adding the reply, although this is an old post, but I think I know the problem and its solution.
The car makes cricket like noise on idle and only when clutch pedal is fully released is because the clutch fork is rattling against the slave cylinder. I am not a technical person so bear with me.

The clutch fork exits the transmission is joined with a master cylinder, usually this part is covered under a rubber boot. If you pull the rubber boot out a little, you'll notice the front end of the clutch fork. There is suppose to be grease at this contact point but it often washes away, specaily if the boot is damaged or the clutch was worked on. Just apply some temperature resistent grease at this contact point and the noise should go away.

I went to several mechanic and many diagnosed that its the TOB, but it is not.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just adding the reply, although this is an old post, but I think I know the problem and its solution.
The car makes cricket like noise on idle and only when clutch pedal is fully released is because the clutch fork is rattling against the slave cylinder. I am not a technical person so bear with me.

The clutch fork exits the transmission is joined with a master cylinder, usually this part is covered under a rubber boot. If you pull the rubber boot out a little, you'll notice the front end of the clutch fork. There is suppose to be grease at this contact point but it often washes away, specaily if the boot is damaged or the clutch was worked on. Just apply some temperature resistent grease at this contact point and the noise should go away.

Hope this helps someone.
Thank you I have this same issue going to look into this. What type of grease should I use.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hope this helps someone.
Hello I just bought a 2007 Civic Si a few days ago and I do have this issue, could you make a video explaining it? I'm not a mechanic person as well so I'm not sure where should I put the grease you talk about.

Cheers man

1 - 20 of 20 Posts