8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

561 - 577 of 577 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
:bump: Yes on a sticky - so what?

Someone needs to post a straight gear tranny build vs. paying Honda if your trans is out of warranty.

$2k+ for a stock trans syncho rebuild vs. a built baller trans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just looked over the Recall and excludes the 2009 SI.

When I bought my SI...they were doing the lifetime warranty....would I be able to get this fixed under that? I do a lot of freeway driving...so I have about 150k miles on my car already....what issues will that cause?

Will I have any issues due to maintenance since i do my own Tire Rotations, Oil Changes, plugs, air filters?...all the general stuff

Thanks
Urlryn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. I had a question about buying an 08 SI. The vin numbers recall are as follows:

2008 Civic Si 4-Door:
From VIN 2HGFA555.8H700001
thru 2HGFA555.8H702465

The vehicle I am looking at is 2HGFA55598H712***. Should I be worried at all for any clutch or transmission problems?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I may have missed it in the PDF but is there an expiration date for this recall? I own a 2007 FA5 and it states that ll 2007 Civic Si Sedans are affected by this!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I may have missed it in the PDF but is there an expiration date for this recall? I own a 2007 FA5 and it states that ll 2007 Civic Si Sedans are affected by this!
There never was a proper recall for this. Just a they will fix it thing if you were under warranty. If your car has issues and is low enough on miles they MIGHT fix it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bought my FA5 recently and it has this problem, but it's an '08 and has 130k miles on it. Pretty sure Pacific Honda won't be willing to replace this under the recall. What should I do :(

·
Registered
188 Posts
They probably won't since you're way out of any warranty. I had the issue and at first I was using Honda MTF and changing it every 3rd oil change, I just switched to amsoil synchromesh and the notch is practically completely gone.

(06 Si with 138k)

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
i got my 06 fixed three times on three final time was with the Bulliten., there was never a recall. recalls are manditory no matter what millage your at. this was at honda's discression to help ppl stop complaining. this was never a saftey issue with them and no one ever died.

So if your out. your out. no dealer will do this work for fun and for free. when the work was all dont the parts and labour came to almost 3g's so expect to pay close to that at the dealer. 1500-2000 at a tranny shop.

the work can be done yourself.

My brother just got a 30k 2008. and he is screwed. the car was written off., and it has the third gear problem something fearce. so we will do it outselves. probably one shot as we have to do the clutch on it too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My brother just got a 30k 2008. and he is screwed. the car was written off., and it has the third gear problem something fearce. so we will do it outselves. probably one shot as we have to do the clutch on it too.
That sucks man, thinking he scored big getting an 08 with only 30k only to have that issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quick question about this recall guys! Do you have take your vehicle to the Honda dealer you purchased this? Or do you just take it to the nearest Honda dealer service? In short, how did you go about and get the recall fulfilled?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked up an 07 Si from the original owner (some older lady), and no idea about this. Now this damned thing refuses 3rd gear sometimes! Grrrr.... The dealer wants $1800 to fix it. I contacted Honda of America about it and they said, yep, it's out of warranty. Sooooooo, it looks like I'll be learning how to rebuild trannys soon. :cheerleader:

·
Registered
24 Posts
bummer, my 06 had this problem at around 30k miles too, tranny was rebuilt by a shop and they said it was due to "abuse". At the time I had bought it 2nd hand so hadn't know what the previous owner had done to it. Sad to see Honda hasn't owned up to this, I wonder if I have receipts for that work somewhere and if Honda would reimburse me...? If I understand correctly the 09-11 don't have these issues right?

·
Registered
407 Posts
They wont do anything. You are out of warranty. Its 7 years after the year its made that they do the extended warranty. I have an 06 too but any warranty stuff is out of your pocket now. I checked as I work at the dealer... I have the sunvisor problem and it still aint covered.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just picked up an 07 Si from the original owner (some older lady), and no idea about this. Now this damned thing refuses 3rd gear sometimes! Grrrr.... The dealer wants $1800 to fix it. I contacted Honda of America about it and they said, yep, it's out of warranty. Sooooooo, it looks like I'll be learning how to rebuild trannys soon. :cheerleader:

Change the fluid. I used Honda stuff. My gears are no longer a problem. this was after 110,000miles.

561 - 577 of 577 Posts