8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

541 - 560 of 577 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
So American Honda said that they would not repair the 3rd gear problem under goodwill consideration due to the mileage (79,500) and the age of the car (2007). I contacted my local dealer and the service manager there sympathizes with me and is aware of the 3rd gear problem and agrees that it's Honda's fault. He's going to do what he can to try to get American Honda to cover it. We will see. Has anyone had any success getting Honda to cover it while out of warranty? If so, how did you do it? If not, and you paid to get it fixed, how much did you pay? Thanks.
same hir man..im out of warranty...got a 101,000 miles..haha.same problem with the 3rd gear popping out...well hope american honda comp. will do something about it..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just dropped the car off for the first time at Pacific Honda so that they can diagnose the problem. Have to pay $100.00 diagnostic fee so they can diagnose it. Hopefully American Honda will pay to fix the problem since it's their fault they chose to put these faulty synchros in their gear sets.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just dropped the car off for the first time at Pacific Honda so that they can diagnose the problem. Have to pay $100.00 diagnostic fee so they can diagnose it. Hopefully American Honda will pay to fix the problem since it's their fault they chose to put these faulty synchros in their gear sets.
So I got a call saying it was for sure a problem with the 3rd gear set that's talked about in the TSB. My local Honda dealer said that they would check with their Honda representative from American Honda. I sure hope they stand behind their product.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Did any of u guys take car to dealer modded? I got a 11' Si wit 27k miles and tranny is giving me issues specially the 3rd gear. I only have Buddy club n+ but I don't want them voiding my warranty just because is lowered

RG4L

·
Registered
208 Posts
They can only deny you if the mod is the cause of the problem. For example you buy a brand new Civic Si and buy and install a cai and drive through high water and hydro lock the engine then they can say because of the mod you installed it was the cause of the damage. Your car being lowered has nothing to do with the problems your having with the transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know it says to stop signing but someone should organize and start an 09-11 si tran problem. My 09 grinds at high rpms going into 2nd :(

Sent from my DROID3
I kind of have the same problem,

Before when I used honda manual tranny oil, it didnt do it as much, then I switched to mobil 1 and and grinds easily unless im extra careful, going to switch back to honda MTF and see, which MTF are you using?

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I got a call saying it was for sure a problem with the 3rd gear set that's talked about in the TSB. My local Honda dealer said that they would check with their Honda representative from American Honda. I sure hope they stand behind their product.
So they spoke with their Honda representative and they, of course, will need to do a tear down of the manual transmission to see if the 3rd gear problem is due to operator abuse which will cost me $1356.00. What exactly are they going to be looking at? The car currently has 79,500 miles and the original owner who sold me the vehicle had a new clutch installed in July of 2011 when the car had about 55,000 miles. If they find that the problem is due to user abuse, then I'm out $1356.00. If they agree that it's their fault, then I pay some portion of that $1356.00 and they pay the rest. They also can't tell me what my portion would be at this point. Recommendations?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wouldn't the fact that the car grinds because it won't go into 3rd gear look like operator abuse when it's, in fact, their part that's causing the abuse? I have a 1998 Honda Civic LX that is still on the original transmission and clutch with 180,000 miles and it never fails to go into gear like this 2007 Civic SI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi and Thank you ! I have a few question i wanted to ask of some of the people on here that may have experienced what im having and a couple performance questions.. i own a 06 si all factory stock.. it has about 149 k miles on it .. when decelerating in any gear i hear what sounds like a worn bearing noise and it goes away when i push in the clutch.. also i am considering a cold n (i hope thats how you spell it ) is about the best as far as hp torque increases.. let me know what you all think...air intake .. any suggestions on what brand or the length ? ive heard the injun brand was good as far as hp and torque increases.. as you can tell im new on here and having a hard time figuring this site out .. so any help would be great ...

·
Registered
43 Posts
any way to check if the car has had it replaced already? bought an 07 fa5 couple months ago drives and shifts smooth, don't abuse it at all. would hate to see the third gear problem happening in a couple months. car has about 86xxx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought mine in 08' with 4k miles on it. Noticed the 3rd gear grind at about 15k miles. They replaced the syncro at 36k and around 45k it started again. I took it back up there at 59k and the would not do anything because they could not "duplicate" the problem when they drove it. They never drove it the first time they replaced it and I told him that. Now at 69k it is worse and other gears are grinding. I called today to speak to a manager and no one will return my call. LOL
**Update...just called them back to talk to someone and I was told the same thing. If they can not duplicate the problem, they will not fix it. They are going to let a mechanic drive it for the weekend and see if he can get it to duplicate. We shall see.
To be honest I think its absolute bs. They know very well that their cars have this problem. During a test drive, my 06 FG2 popped out of 3rd and they still refused to do anything. They said if anything it would be out of good will. THen they siad they'd try their best. Then after wastign 2 weeks of my time they finally sent me a message saying how because during the inspection it was fine, they dont need to do anything now. Extremely disappointed.

On a side note, I have done a lot of reading and the general consensus to "help" our problem is as follows:

-New clutch (yours might be slipping)
-New tranny fliud ( Synchromesh either from GM(friction modded) or pennzoil seems to be online favorites for our cars)
-adjusting master cylinder .

The latter 2 are obviously the cheaper ones so I'd start with that.
Good luck guys. let me know how your fixes go.

·
Registered
18,275 Posts
The transmission on this car is flawed. /story

I would write a laundry list of things i have gotten done to this car but it would take up far too much space.

All i got to say now is that my car is at the shop getting a complete overhaul done on the transmission. Very sad for such a nice car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
too bad this doesn't apply for 4th gear. Mine grinds every time so I don't even bother using it anymore. I'm sure it's the synchro. I've swapped fluid, adjusted clutch pedal and master cylinder and problem still persists. 08 fa5 with 27k miles

·
Registered
23 Posts
This trans is a hit or miss either u get one without the problem or u get one with it. Like others said if its not third gear it will be 4th or 5th. Besides the fact warranty work......... come on guys Honda knows there is a problem but isnt doing a recall if u pay to have it fixed or looked at odds are it will come out of ur pocket. When it comes to dealers its always a user error not mechanical.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
HELP ME!!! I have a 2010 civic 4 door si and it's doing this third gear pop out/ crunchy third gear shift what do I say to the dealer I have warranty and I haven't been able to get it to happen when they drive with me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
just got a 07 si with 53k on it. it has a salvage title. got a bit of hail damage. and i think a previous rear end fix. but i got it for half of book value. test drove it it was fine. on the way home (100 mile drive) i noticed 3rd was hard to get in a few times. doesnt do it everytime and always goes in after aa second try. jsut found out about the recall. is it still covered? salvage title? or to old. cant find the specifics on the recall other than one guy said 100k miles it wont cover

·
Registered
12 Posts
Signed.

I am having the transmission problem now and it irritated me so much that I created my own thread about it (Civic Si 3rd gear destruction). My car was bought used and now has around 62,000 miles. The car only started giving me problems the day after I got the 60,000 mile service at the dealership. I have been getting the run around by the dealer so I called Honda USA to try to get help because they are trying to charge me $2500 for faulty manufacturer's parts. The number for Honda USA is 1800-999-1009. Don't give up, Honda is looking into it now and hopefully i will have some good news to report soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
does the transmission just randomly pop out of 3rd gear when you are driving? does the gear grind when changing gears happen because the clutch isnt pressed in all the way until the trans is in the gear and then depress the clutch?

541 - 560 of 577 Posts