8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

521 - 540 of 577 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I know it says to stop signing but someone should organize and start an 09-11 si tran problem. My 09 grinds at high rpms going into 2nd :(

Sent from my DROID3

·
Registered
56 Posts
New(to me) si

Guys... I just bought an 07 si. TA5. Stumbled upon this three and wondering if anyone knows if its cool to roll into a Honda dealership and ask if this has been fixed on my car??

They shouldn't charge me right?? Please please please pm me if anyone an help me out with this.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Guys... I just bought an 07 si. TA5. Stumbled upon this three and wondering if anyone knows if its cool to roll into a Honda dealership and ask if this has been fixed on my car??

They shouldn't charge me right?? Please please please pm me if anyone an help me out with this.
they shouldnt charge for a service history. but the only way to really know if its fixed or if its present is to just drive the car. Some people get away without getting anything from the tranny but joy. others.....get 3 trannies that grind like a 86 beater. just hondas 6MT grind.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bought mine in 08' with 4k miles on it. Noticed the 3rd gear grind at about 15k miles. They replaced the syncro at 36k and around 45k it started again. I took it back up there at 59k and the would not do anything because they could not "duplicate" the problem when they drove it. They never drove it the first time they replaced it and I told him that. Now at 69k it is worse and other gears are grinding. I called today to speak to a manager and no one will return my call. LOL
**Update...just called them back to talk to someone and I was told the same thing. If they can not duplicate the problem, they will not fix it. They are going to let a mechanic drive it for the weekend and see if he can get it to duplicate. We shall see.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yea I sympathize with everyone. Im on my 2nd transmission. The stock one went out at around 90k. The replacement I got (which I will admit was from a yard) has the same tendencies going into 3rd as the original. Been dealing with this for quite some time so I can tell when it is not in the whole way so I think I can run this one a little longer but its still, not good.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Update from my post above. After a 3rd gear synchro replacement at 36k miles and again after 69k miles, both under warranty, the service guy told me that to expect it to happen again in another 30k miles since they jsut keep putting the same old factory synchro in there. The next one is out of my pocket is I believe it is time to dump this thing. I hate to do it since it is almost paid off but I cannot afford to start coming out of pocket every 30k miles to fix this thing.

·
Registered
616 Posts
i havent done it yet to this transmission but i have on many b series transmissions.....synchrotech or gearspeed carbon synchros and now i believe they have kevlar ones as well...you should never have a problem again

·
Registered
368 Posts
Have a 10', and the original owner, and blew it with 22k. Had it rebuilt, and 6th is going out. This time ill beef it up one way or another, I'm tired of transmission problems!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
This transmission pisses me off. I would be so in love with my 08FA5 if it wasn't for this transmission.

I got 2nd gear replaced at 17k because it was popping out of gear in normal driving. They replaced 3rd while they were at it. Then it developed a loud 4 gear whine in low speeds that ppl could hear as I drove by. So I got a new 4th gear at 35k, and now I have an apparent whine in 6th gear, slight in 5th and 4th again at 3000 rpm.

With the Omni CMC, Boomba torque mounts, and GM syncromesh, the transmission is a joy to drive now. But this damn whining is well...making me whine! This car has sooo much potential but it's heald back by this damn transmission. If it wasn't for this transmission, I could easily see myself driivng this to 200,000 miles if I can.

Im under extended warranty at 65k now. If honda fixes it, great. If not I might sell my rims and snow tires to get money to rebuild my transmission and add in carbon syncros to 2nd and 3rd. If those go, I'm ditching this car.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
After production has ended on the 8th gen 09+ Si's. How many of you TRULY
have the 3rd gear grinding/poping out issue? Not just being notchy like 2nd gear. It makes it really difficult for someone like me who is trying to decide whether to ditch my 11 Si and just grab a new 13 and ONLY becuase of the 3rd gear issue that may/may not rear its head since ive seen a few here and there that complain about the 09+ but not sure if they are just paranoid and 3rd gear is kinda notchy just like 2nd gear.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What is with Honda's and all their transmission woes. Every CVT ever made, virtually all V6 powered cars in the early 2000's, rsx, ep3. Talk about a huge spoiler to an otherwise great product.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Advice?

I'm rather late to the party but any advice would be greatly appreciated...

I bought an '07 Si last December with 57k miles on it. It was purchased from the original owner who was selling because he had upgraded to a 1 series. It seemed clean and well cared for. The requisite carfax my lender ran was clean, no mods, no accidents, and no issues with 3rd during the test drive whatsoever. I thought I did my research prior to buying, but apparently I forgot to search for TSB's because not once did I see any mention of this 3rd gear issue during my relatively extensive Google searches for "2007 Civic Si reviews" or "07 Civic Si recalls."

Thankfully, I have not yet experienced any grinding when shifting into 3rd gear. I periodically have difficulty actually shifting, but what truly concerns me is the horrifically earsplitting noise that ensues when 3rd gear rejects me. The grinding sound is so unbearable it guiltily makes me want to cry.

I am without warranty so I am at the mercy of the dealership and their “discretion.” What is the likeliness that they correct the problem if I bring the car in? Does it just depend on the Service Manager and whether or not they want to be nice to me…? I contemplated buying an extended warranty, but can I even get one since this is a pre-existing issue?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Worst tranny i've seen on a car , dealer did first syncho job on the first year for the second gear grind under warranty .

Last summer i broke my second gear , i could no longer get into fist gear . Dealer did the repair under warranty too and i did install a Exedy Stage 1 .

Friday i went to the drag strip , first time with my slick and i had a problem with the tranny , second , third and fourth gear was so hard go get into it . No grind but so hard to get into every gears .

On my way back to home everything was fine , not buttersmooth shift but better .

My car will be a blast to drive without this ******* tranny problem , i have EM1 CMC properly installed and still have grinding issues for the 2nd gear grind problem . I run Redline MTL 70w80 .

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just bought an 07 Civic SI sedan with 79,000 miles and have the 3rd gear problem. When I attempt to shift into 3rd gear, with the clutch all the way down, the knob just won't move into position and i am forced to move back into neutral before depressing the clutch and then reengaging the clutch again before going into 3rd gear. It's after hours now, so I have sent a tweet to Honda Customer SVC (American Honda's Twitter account) and am waiting for a reply hopefully tomorrow. I was just at the local Honda dealership a few days ago and was having the Sun visor replaced since it split and broke, and I mentioned the 3rd gear problem to the service advisor. He said that he has a 2006 Civic Si and that he is aware of the problem and that he has had his synchros replaced under the TSB. He recommended that I contact American Honda to see if they would consider me for a goodwill repair. Hopefully they do, because it's Honda's fault that they chose to use faulty parts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So American Honda said that they would not repair the 3rd gear problem under goodwill consideration due to the mileage (79,500) and the age of the car (2007). I contacted my local dealer and the service manager there sympathizes with me and is aware of the 3rd gear problem and agrees that it's Honda's fault. He's going to do what he can to try to get American Honda to cover it. We will see. Has anyone had any success getting Honda to cover it while out of warranty? If so, how did you do it? If not, and you paid to get it fixed, how much did you pay? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So American Honda said that they would not repair the 3rd gear problem under goodwill consideration due to the mileage (79,500) and the age of the car (2007). I contacted my local dealer and the service manager there sympathizes with me and is aware of the 3rd gear problem and agrees that it's Honda's fault. He's going to do what he can to try to get American Honda to cover it. We will see. Has anyone had any success getting Honda to cover it while out of warranty? If so, how did you do it? If not, and you paid to get it fixed, how much did you pay? Thanks.
I just bought an 07 Civic SI sedan with 79,000 miles and have the 3rd gear problem. When I attempt to shift into 3rd gear, with the clutch all the way down, the knob just won't move into position and i am forced to move back into neutral before depressing the clutch and then reengaging the clutch again before going into 3rd gear. It's after hours now, so I have sent a tweet to Honda Customer SVC (American Honda's Twitter account) and am waiting for a reply hopefully tomorrow. I was just at the local Honda dealership a few days ago and was having the Sun visor replaced since it split and broke, and I mentioned the 3rd gear problem to the service advisor. He said that he has a 2006 Civic Si and that he is aware of the problem and that he has had his synchros replaced under the TSB. He recommended that I contact American Honda to see if they would consider me for a goodwill repair. Hopefully they do, because it's Honda's fault that they chose to use faulty parts.
I finally got my dealer to order 3rd gear parts for my 2006. I bought it about 4 weeks ago and it has 82,000 miles on it. This qualifies it as a lemon law candidate and will be fixed under the good will clause. I told them I would rather return the vehicle then inherit a problem if they didnt fix it. I drove with the shop forman today and he felt the clunky 3rd gear and the 2nd gear. You have to fight for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I finally got my dealer to order 3rd gear parts for my 2006. I bought it about 4 weeks ago and it has 82,000 miles on it. This qualifies it as a lemon law candidate and will be fixed under the good will clause. I told them I would rather return the vehicle then inherit a problem if they didnt fix it. I drove with the shop forman today and he felt the clunky 3rd gear and the 2nd gear. You have to fight for it.
Did you buy your car from a Honda dealership? I bought mine from a private seller.

521 - 540 of 577 Posts