8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Civic Si Sedan FA5 Alabaster Silver Metallic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I can't figure out why my stereo is dead. It started to happen after I installed a K&N intake, it's just been dead like in this picture:

I checked all the fuses on the forums and in this video:

and they're all good. I checked the connection to the actual head unit and the connections/wires seem fine. I replugged everything and it was still dead, so I ordered a totally new head unit on ebay (same exact OEM part as before) and I just swapped that out today and IT'S STILL DEAD!

So I don't know what to do now, do I have to replace the wiring harness or just take it to the dealership?

Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you can't find your problem..
I would try to find an Auto electrician. _<$60/hr
He should be able to check the wiring for the stereo and/or check the ohms to make sure its getting current. He should be able to tell you your problem.
Or you could get a quote from Honda. _<$80/hr

Hope you find your problem without having to spend much though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Before you swap out more parts, you should follow some simple troubleshooting steps:
  • Check for voltage at the connector that plugs into the back of the radio.
  • Check for ground at the same connector

I would bet you do not have voltage at the connector since two separate radios do not work. But to be sure, you would need to get a volt/ohmmeter and check. You can get the wiring diagrams here: http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/manual2.html

If you do not have voltage or ground there, then you need to trace the wires back to see where you lose voltage. Have you done any other work where you might have disconnected the wiring by accident?

Good luck.

·
Registered
2008 Civic Si Sedan FA5 Alabaster Silver Metallic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before you swap out more parts, you should follow some simple troubleshooting steps:
  • Check for voltage at the connector that plugs into the back of the radio.
  • Check for ground at the same connector

I would bet you do not have voltage at the connector since two separate radios do not work. But to be sure, you would need to get a volt/ohmmeter and check. You can get the wiring diagrams here: http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/manual2.html

If you do not have voltage or ground there, then you need to trace the wires back to see where you lose voltage. Have you done any other work where you might have disconnected the wiring by accident?

Good luck.
I'll try that out, something probably happened when I got the new intake. I'm going on a roadtrip in a few days so I'm a bit afraid of going to a dealership here in california with an aftermarket intake and high prices/waiting times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery once? Does it turn on at all when you press anything? The head unit resets itself anytime the battery is disconnected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts