8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was looking around for a car to buy , i have a $6000 Budget and where i live you can get a clean civic si (8TH GEN) for 6k or a high mileage example for low as 3.5k. Another option was a golf gti but the lowest i seen one go for is 8k and i would want a mk6 golf. I havent driven a stick car in a year and the stick car i was driving was a hooked up mazdaspeed 3. The clutch and shifter was weird on that car imo and you had to give it ALOT of gas to get it to move and when i pick up this Civic Si would i be able to drive it without embarrasing myself ?

Is there anything else i should know about the civic si before buying ? my goal is just to make it clean and build the engine to have 240 to 250hp as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't know how you're going to find them at that price point, but in my experience they're very good cars. They get a bad rap for low torque, but the gearing is crazy low so I've always found mine to be extremely easy to drive. The wife doesn't even use 1st, but I've gotten pretty lazy. Now, the rev hang (look it up) will make you look dumb when you're showing off, but you'll never notice if you're just cruising. Probably doesn't need to be said, but reliability is up there with the best.

Just my 2 cents, but if I were you I would take the si over anything else you mentioned, I've driven a variety of cars in the same class and it's proven to be the most fun. I know there are faster cars, but not many as fun.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The 8th gen Si clutch is slightly heavier than most modern cars, but its very easy to modulate and catches somewhere low to mid pedal travel, you've driven manual before, you'll be ok.

Get it checked out completely to make sure there are no leaks, make sure you see the car start up from stone cold and check for exhaust smoke to make sure the valve seals are still in good health.

If possible, have the owner (if you're buying private or do it your self) do a pull, 8k rpm shift 1-2 2-3 to make sure it doesn't have the grinding issue (06-08 model years supposedly).

If you decide to buy one with 100k+ miles, valve lash adjustment might be needed (among the usual for 100k maintenance items of course)

Also, FYI, the ACs on these suck if you're anywhere that gets super hot, does not blow cold when idling but its ice cold when you get moving, this might just be a problem in Phoenix, AZ hah.

You can't go wrong with an 8th gen Si in good running condition, assuming you know how this car's engine delivers power and where its character comes from and that's what you want.

Its not very fast, but its fun to wring out and still be within the speed limit lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just recently bought an 08 fa5 with 200k+ miles. Was scared at first but its been really reliable! Cold AC and trans still smooth. Vtak kicks quite nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new here I just bought a 2011 8th gen Civic SI. I love it. It is so much fun. And a lot people say its not fast but that just depends on what you compare it to, really. And what fast means to you. If like a lot of people you get it and mash the gas and the car doesn't throw you back in the seat(it won't) they say it isn't fast. They are looking for torque but an SI doesn't make its power that way. It makes its power in the high rpms especially when the vtec kicks in at 5800rpm and revs to 8k. Then you shift and because Honda makes the best gearboxes in the world you don't fall out of the VTEC range. That's how you drive these cars and why they are so much fun. And when you think that didn't feel very fast and then look at speedometer already hitting 80 and the cars that were at the stoplight behind you and see how far back they are you'll know its quick. If you like torquey cars. Then even the 9th or 10th gen aren't gonna really be for you. But if you want a quick super fun car, that handles like a dream(even on the tires I have) you would enjoy this. Now when I say it is a fast car, it is not to be compared with a 370z, or WRX, even a V6 Accord Coupe will likely run a better 1/4 mile. But it does hit 0-60 around 6.5 sec(I've seen different magazines claim anything from 6.2 to 7.0) Same with the quarter mile ranging from 14.4 to 15.2 but I timed mine at 14.68(best time). That is still pretty fast. Anyway I'm more trying to make the case that the car is a blast to drive because of the way you have to rev til screams and then you shift and drops back only about 2000rpm due to its 4.76 stock final drive. I don't know if you could get one for $6000k though unless your willing to take with some cosmetic damage or a lot of miles. I paid a little over $9000 cash for mine with 100k on it. It was at a dealership though, it was unmolested(meaning no mods on it). Don't buy one that has mods on it at least not more a couple really basic bolt ons. I say this because usually those haven been driven hard. You may be able to find an RSX type S or S2000 near your range since they are older cars. S2000s are fast. And and RSX drives much like a Civic SI.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 8th gen is not the easiest car to drive manual, especially if your 3rd gear synchro has been abused. Between the rev hang, possible synchro issues, worn out shifter, bad master/slave cylinder on this car, do not expect quick or accurate shifts stock.

That said, it's still a lot more reliable than a MK6 or below GTI.

I bought mine as a beater for 5.5k and 162k miles with no major issues. It did need an AC line replaced after a month and the compressor will probably be on the way out next summer.

Also, to hit your HP goal you're going to need a cam or forced induction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can confirm AC is meh in South Florida. However, it's a fun peppy driver with good reliability and is not bad to work on when things do wrong so far.

Definitely better off reliability wise with the Si over a GTI

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah I'm in Arizona and "meh" is a good way to describe it lol. You won't die of heatstroke in it, but it's no big domestic that can cool the cabin into the 50 degrees range.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Everyone I know who's owned a newer gen GTI has had to shell out way too much in repairs. Pay up and get an Si. I was lucky enough to find a steal on a rebuilt title one but it's mechanically perfect. The a/c is weak compared to my old ford pick up and they make a lot of noise for not that much speed but these are minor annoyances compared to the efficiency/reliability/performance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts