8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my DD and after a couple months of thinking about what I want, I've settled on a low mileage 8th gen Civic Si sedan in Rallye Red.

I'm giving myself a couple months to search, but these days a clean, low mileage Si seems somewhat rare.

I've read about the 3rd gear grind issue with 2006-2008 models, so I've limited my search to 2009-2011 models. Is this a good idea or is it worth it to search for all years in order to increase my chances of finding what I want? How prevalent were the synchro issues?

Also, where is the best place to find a clean 8th gen? I have alerts set on Craigslist and a few apps but haven't had too much luck in the past few weeks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Rallye Red is going to be a bugger to find. I looked for quite a while with two options (white or blue) and I never even saw a high mileage one in red. If you're in a hurry it seems like there's loads of black ones around, and quite a few silver, but the interesting colors must not have sold as well

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought and installed a bottle of Royal Purple 01512 Synchromax High Performance Synthetic Manual Transmission fluid. It solved the 3rd gear grinding problem permanently.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi all,
I've settled on a low mileage 8th gen Civic Si sedan in Rallye Red.

I'm giving myself a couple months to search, but these days a clean, low mileage Si seems somewhat rare.
glad to hear you're giving yourself time, because there's a ton of ragged out 8th gens on the market but very few remaining low mileage, one or two owner cars. be flexible and prepared to buy a plane ticket to go get the right one out of state.

you'll have a MUCH easier time if you're after a coupe...those seemed to have sold much better. a nice sedan will take more work to find.

as mentioned before its easy to find a black, silver, grey, or white one. ralleye red (09-11) or haberno red (06-08) are definitely tougher.

Hi all,
I've read about the 3rd gear grind issue with 2006-2008 models, so I've limited my search to 2009-2011 models. Is this a good idea or is it worth it to search for all years in order to increase my chances of finding what I want? How prevalent were the synchro issues?
09-11 has slightly better factory synchros and a beefier final drive bearing, among some other small changes. ultimately any year Si that's received proper transmission fluid changes over the course of its life, and been driven carefully (not necessarily slowly, just properly) without sloppy gear-slamming will still drive great even at higher miles. that said 09-11's are ideal if you can find one.

i think a lot of the synchro scare is blown out of proportion and in many cases is actually due to a mis-adjusted clutch pedal that doesn't fully disengage the clutch. obviously this will cause shift lock-out because the clutch disc is still slightly touching the flywheel even when the clutch is depressed. you can see a tutorial to fix this here:

i found out my car had 3rd gear lockout at high RPM's when i bought it at 88k miles. spent about 45 mins under the dashboard adjusting the pedal to depress the master cylinder more effectively, then changed the transmission fluid and the result is a buttery shift at any RPM and its stayed that way for almost 12k miles now, so i'm calling it fixed.

remember when you test drive, don't judge the transmission until its good and warm (20-30 mins of driving). its not going to shift as well at cold temps until the gear oil is hot and all the tolerances are at operating temps.

test drive the car thoroughly and really take it to redline shifts in 1st, 2nd and 3rd as those synchros are the most notorious for wearing poorly. the good news is if you are getting a little shift lockout at high RPMs, use it to your advantage to haggle the price down.

other things to look for besides a clean history/carfax: clearcoat failure, A/C performance (i know its winter but still), check the oil level since K20's like to use oil at high RPM, and these have an airbag recall for the Takata fiasco. low miles and being garage kept will take most of those issues out of consideration.

Hi all,
Also, where is the best place to find a clean 8th gen? I have alerts set on Craigslist and a few apps but haven't had too much luck in the past few weeks.
cast a very wide net. lots of trash on facebook groups and craigslist but there are a few good finds and it gets the best turnover. don't be afraid to look at dealers, they're getting a lot of these on trade-ins now as 8th owners are moving on to 10th gens.

i was hell-bent on buying one as a private sale but in the end it actually worked out that i found mine at the very bottom of a listing on cars.com from a little mom and pop dealer. it had only been listed for a short time, and when i got there the dealer was on the phone with 2 other guys trying to buy it sight unseen. be prepared to move fast on one that you like...i had to pay a bit more to get mine from a dealer but it was worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts