8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been driving my civic for 10k miles and still can not learn how to shift right. I am going with 3k rpm 1 gear , changing to second and there is a sound like something hiting another thing and I see that the rpms do not go low too fast and they are at 2800rmp but second starts at 2200 in this case. The sound in not of grinning gears. Some tell me that this is the differential, some tell me that I can not drive the car :(. can anyone tell me what is my problem?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well yes , I let the gas off press on the clutch, change to second release the cluch slowly giving a liitle bit of gas. The thing is that 1st - 3000rpms, i do all that stuff and the engine is still at 2800 but second is at 2200rpms and to level out the rpms the sound is produced

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The rpms stay up due to rev hang, which is caused by the Drive by wire system or the computer tells it to. I haven't figured that one out yet. Any way rev-hang is normal, if the rpms have not dropped to the 2200 yet, just shift a little bit slower. Are you slamming it into gear fast?
I have to push the accelerator peddle in before i let out the clutch because the DBW is delayed. If i don't, the rpms are too low and the tranns starts slowing the car down for a split second. Its not horrable, but annoying. There may be little things you have to adjust about your driving because of the DBW lag.

If it is a grind, it could be the syncos in the tranns. They are double syncos(i think) and that sometimes causes a grind, especially at higher RPMs with a 1-2 shift. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its is not a grind, it is just may be the clutch leveling the 2200rpms of the trans. to the 2700 rpms of the engine. If I wait the engine to go to 2300rpms and change gears without the noise i really need to wait long like 5 sec

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
i dont get a grind when i down shift and over rev my rev match. Instead the car pulls for a split second.

For others, was the really bad rev hang fixed for all 07 SIs? I think it was only the 06s that had the bad rev hang but i am not sure. My 07 is fine, thats all i know about that.

Can you explain the hitting noise? What would hit together to make that type of noise and how loud is it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
someone told me that i do not give enough gas when releasing the clutch, so I started giving more gas the sound disappears but still 1st at 3000rpm while shifting to second the rpms go down slowly and I give it gas so the rpms go up releasing the cluch, the sound is gone but then then the clutch is weared too much because it needs to go down to 2200rpms to match the trans.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
ik exactly what hes talking about..u can hear like the SLIGHTEST thud like something "connects" almost in the transmission and engine, like theyre connecting together..right? thats the way id describe it atleast..happens between 1st and 2nd most noteably..just shift slower..like others posted..its due to the rev hang..if u dont mind shift at 3.5 and it wont really do it..the lower rpms u shift at between those 2 gears the slower your going to have to let the off on the clutch..the higher the rpms u shift at between those 2 gears the easier it is..

all in all it depends on how slow/smooth u let off the clutch between 1st and 2nd and what rpms u choose to shift at..

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
np i had the problem when i started drivin the si at first, and i knew how to drive stick previously..just seems like u kinda have to relearn with the si due to a number of factors..DBW, REV HANG, CLOSE RATIO to name a few :pat:

·
Registered
319 Posts
The simple fix would be to shift anywhere between 5k and 8k and the intake note will take care of drowning out any noise.

Seriously, if you want to be conservative, shift at 4500 instead. The Si does not like to accelerate under 3000 RPM and at 2000 you probably feel like you are pulling a boat anchor (which is why you are causing traffic).

Spool the engine a little :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.