8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok sinces i bought my 07 EX sedan i notice the suspension was crapy but lately its gotten worse i cant have 4 people in the car with out the rear end being sow low to the point where the tires omost tuck. Also when i pass a pot whole the car moves like a shock where blown ( the side to side feeling). and it bottems out so hard it feels like your driving a 10 yr old car... I check to see if they where blown and to check if they where leaking but no there still look good.

is the stock suspension this cheap? any one else have these problems?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think the stock suspension is really cheap!!! I have a 06 EX sedan and I already had suspension problems. My right strut bar didn't have any more fluid and it was shaking like crazy wen I was on the freeway and on the streets. I took it to the dealer and it was covered under my warranty. This was a few months ago and now when I am on the fast lane on the freeway it seems to shake a lot. I wanna upgrade my suspension but I don't have any money to mod my car :(

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
ok sinces i bought my 07 EX sedan i notice the suspension was crapy but lately its gotten worse i cant have 4 people in the car with out the rear end being sow low to the point where the tires omost tuck. Also when i pass a pot whole the car moves like a shock where blown ( the side to side feeling). and it bottems out so hard it feels like your driving a 10 yr old car... I check to see if they where blown and to check if they where leaking but no there still look good.

The stock suspension is soft, not cheap. Thats why when you put weight in the back the wheels tuck. Accords do that, Camrys (any family sedan) do that. The blown feeling has nothing to do with side to side movement. Side to side movement is do to bumps on one side of the road and not the other. A blown shock shows itself in up and down movement. A blown shock will bounce for a couple of cycles after it hits a bump.

I think the stock suspension is really cheap!!! I have a 06 EX sedan and I already had suspension problems. My right strut bar didn't have any more fluid and it was shaking like crazy wen I was on the freeway and on the streets. I took it to the dealer and it was covered under my warranty. This was a few months ago and now when I am on the fast lane on the freeway it seems to shake a lot. I wanna upgrade my suspension but I don't have any money to mod my car :(
A strut bar is a bar that goes from one strut across the car to the other and contains no fluid. The strut, or shock, or damper is what contains the fluid. How did you find out that there was no fluid in the shock? There isn't a shock dip stick to check that sort of thing. Also, the only way a shock could have side to side movement (shaking) is if was loose. It could be an unbalanced wheel.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I agree with Sirbelch. It sounds like you are expecting a little more out of the stock sedan suspension than it was made for.

Check your tires and wheels. My crappy Bridgestone OEM tires rode like hell. Yours might just be out of balance, or you hit a curb/pothole?

If your not going to track it and just daily drive, I suggest getting front and rear Si sway bars. I didn't really want to lower mine any, but wanted a little better stability and the Si bars are just what I needed. Took a lot of body roll out. Of course, if your really going to drive it hard, just go with the rear bar, but the combo is awesome for a daily driver. I'm actually happy with my suspension now!

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
I agree with Sirbelch. It sounds like you are expecting a little more out of the stock sedan suspension than it was made for.

Check your tires and wheels. My crappy Bridgestone OEM tires rode like hell. Yours might just be out of balance, or you hit a curb/pothole?

If your not going to track it and just daily drive, I suggest getting front and rear Si sway bars. I didn't really want to lower mine any, but wanted a little better stability and the Si bars are just what I needed. Took a lot of body roll out. Of course, if your really going to drive it hard, just go with the rear bar, but the combo is awesome for a daily driver. I'm actually happy with my suspension now!
Also, if you want more handling and want to keep that DD ride, you could get Si springs and sturts.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts

As mentioned, that's just the nature of the stock suspension. My friend who isn't into cars pointed out how low a Civic sedan was when it had 5 people in it, "Dude, what is he lowered on? He's like slammed!"

·
Registered
636 Posts
The stock suspension is soft, not cheap. Thats why when you put weight in the back the wheels tuck. Accords do that, Camrys (any family sedan) do that. The blown feeling has nothing to do with side to side movement. Side to side movement is do to bumps on one side of the road and not the other. A blown shock shows itself in up and down movement. A blown shock will bounce for a couple of cycles after it hits a bump.

A strut bar is a bar that goes from one strut across the car to the other and contains no fluid. The strut, or shock, or damper is what contains the fluid. How did you find out that there was no fluid in the shock? There isn't a shock dip stick to check that sort of thing. Also, the only way a shock could have side to side movement (shaking) is if was loose. It could be an unbalanced wheel.
My bad, it was my strut. I found out that there was no more fluid cuz wen I got my new rims I told the installer to check my suspension. I told him I felt it shake a lot on my right side. That was wen he told me that there was no more fluid. I can't have unbalanced wheels cuz they are practically new. Maybe it is my crappy tires. I have Nexens and I have never heard of that brand before I got my new wheels. Does the psi on the tires matter?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I experienced the car moving side to side when hitting speed bumps too. I now have the HFP and its way better. Its a lot stiffer but not too stiff and doesnt shimmy when hittng speed bumps. Ive never bottomed out yet hitting huge dips etc with 17 inch HFP and 225/45/17 tires. If you can cough up the dough its worth it. The car hugs corners very well now.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
the side to side feeling you guys are talking about is called wandering.
it is from not enough toe-in on the rear.

you can fix this buy getting the rear toe dialed in a little more and running
stiffer dampers to minimize the sus stroke movement. the rear tires
toe-out as the sus compresses.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
I have the same problem with same type civic. I have been told that the upper suspension arm is crap and needs and aftermarket product replacement. Have you heard anything?
Well, the front doesn have an upper suspension arm and the rear upper suspension are ins't going to stop suspension travel unless its binds under a lot of compression, but I don't know if our suspension binds at any point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.