8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking for a Honda Civic Sedan 1.8 i-VTEC (2008) with an automatic transmission. Can you have me with more information on the mechanics and how reliable they are? All I found out so far is that it's a 5 speed gearbox. What kind of transmission is it? An article said that the 1.3 i-DSI engine comes with a CVT and the 1.8 i-VTEC comes with an automatic transmission with torque converter. Is it true?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
I have 300,000 miles (480,000km) on my 5 speed automatic, 1.8L. They are very reliable as long as you drive them easy and maintain them (change the ATF every 50,000). Yes, the 1.3 comes with a CVT, but that is the hybrid model.

·
Registered
77 Posts
They are very good at doing normal daily driving, its hard to complain about a civic that runs well. I have a 2006 automatic that just hit 100k miles. Be aware that there is a recall on the engine block for hairline cracking, I changed all my fluids and the cracking appeared. We went 50/50 on a engine rebuild by honda. usually it has been done already though on most of the ones you find on the market. Also something that nobody does is change the power steering fluid, the power steering pumps have weakly designed gaskets that cant handle 10 year old fluid going through many seasonal temp ranges.they can be one of the first things to leak on the car

·
Registered
525 Posts
The 1.8L engine is very reliable unless you maintain it. Not maintaining it could really strand you big time and will run like s***.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your response! I just made a drive test with one today and im really exited now. Still didn't find out what kind of automatic transmission is on the Sedan version with 1.8iVTEC engine. It does not appear to be the same as the one on the hatchback version.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello,
I am looking for a Honda Civic Sedan 1.8 i-VTEC (2008) with an automatic transmission. Can you have me with more information on the mechanics and how reliable they are? All I found out so far is that it's a 5 speed gearbox. What kind of transmission is it? An article said that the 1.3 i-DSI engine comes with a CVT and the 1.8 i-VTEC comes with an automatic transmission with torque converter. Is it true?

Thank you!
I own a 2008 Civic Lx Automatic. I have 230,00 miles on it & I'm confident I can get 400,000 miles. Now I have performed every maintenance since day 1..not me but Service Dept. Have I had to replace things I didn't want to...yes ..like front and side engine mounts. Blower motor and resistor yes. Brake rotors galaroe! Does it use oil ..no is it a great car ..no! Toyota is a great car but this Civic is just a cur below a Toyota. .my background. I was a fixed Operations Director for Toyota Dealerships thru out the country for 37 years now retired. I believe my knowledge, experience and owning both manufacturers vehicles..makes me qualified...I say go buy now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts