Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 64+ MPG

Votes: 36 12.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
in the winter I get close to 46 for the entire tank of gas. sometimes higher, just depends on the temps. during the summer it will drop to 42 with 17s on.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The HCHII will return great mpg when driven right. I would have bought one hands down if there had been a 5MT, rear disc brakes and no auto climate control.

If one had to have a automatic tranny in there Civic sedan. This one make since. The 5AT is a gas sucker. And coupled up to a R-18 is almost a waste of engineering.

If Honda ever put a 5MT in this car and built it for me. I would dump my EX in a heart beat. I would love to have the 60+ mpg this car will give up when driven right.

psy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Improve the airflow and improve you MPG on your Hybrid

Coming from a racing background, I'm VERY pleased that no matter how hard I drive my 06 HCH, i can't get WORSE that 30 MPG.

To me that is amazing, as my Indy Car is lucky to get 3 MPG.

An engine is really just a big "air-pump", and anything you can do to make the air flow easier, the more efficiency (MPG) you will get. The additional benefit is an increase in Horsepower. Both of these upgrades are simple and don't require any special adaptions or knowledge to perform. Any reliable shop can easily do them for you.

The first two upgrades that both have improved my MPG by about 5 MPG was to get rid of the highly restrictive small exhaust and run a full size exhaust directly off the OEM Cat. If you want a quiet car, this is not a good choice, but if you want the air to flow and the MPG to soar, try this.

Aero Turbine 2540i Muffler direct to OEM Cat. (no resonator)

(Keep your OEM resonator and muffler close by as your wife might make you put it back on when she hears your Hybird "Roar" into the driveway though)

The other side of this MPG upgrade is how cleanly and powerfully you can get the air IN your engine. Several intake packages may work, but I know that the following quality intake was a simple bolt-in project for my 06 Hybrid.

Fujita F5 Short Air Ram Intake SR-1923

AND - with all the extra power, you won't have to look at the ugly butt of the Prius any more - because they will all be behind you.

:driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey how about a sound clip of your Aero Turbine 2540i Muffler direct to OEM Cat?? curious what it would sound like.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Best tank 43 mpg, worst 38 mpg after 3k miles. Gets driven through slow traffic on the freeway for about 30% of the daily commute, then gets used at night for delivering pizzas. Straight freeway driving at 65-70mph or so should yield mid 40's fuel economy on mostly level highways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
18,000 miles on car, and my average is 46.4. Started out at 43. My best tank was over 50, and my usual tank is now 46-47. My commute is 35+ miles one way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
exhaust mods

hey, i'm a new hch owner and was wanting to replace my exhaust headers all the way to muffler. does anyone know of where i could get headers and downpipe for my 04 hch? and if anyone does, is there a downside besides loud car?:eek:hnoes: also does anyone know how performance pulley would affect a hybrid?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all...I've had my 07 HCH since January, and I've tracked every tank. 22,000 miles with a lifetime average of 47.84 mpgs. My best tank was 53, worst was 39 (my mistake, I let the wife drive it, and she doesn't milk it like I do). My commute is 65 miles each way. Yes, each way.
Compared to my previous ride, and 04 Nissan Murano (@ 22 mpgs using premium fuel), I've saved 541 gallons of gas (460 vs 1,001), and approximately $1,600 in 9 months. Cha ching!!!!!
Obviously, it takes a whole new driving style to get those kinds of numbers. No more power moves (ok, maybe still a couple), keeping the top speed down, making the most of a coast, etc... But, with all the changes I've made, it only adds another 5-10 minutes to my commute. That's, what, about the time it takes to stop and get a cup of coffee. No big loss, a whole lotta gain.
So, to the poster who asked if it was worth it to go hybrid, I think you can guess what my answer is. I basically gave myself a $2,000 annual raise. And let us not forget that we have soldiers dying in order to protect our access to middle eastern oil. Getting paid to do the right thing, how great is that?

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
Welcome, those are some great numbers you're posting. I try to drive my EX slowly and can get in the high 30's.

In terms of changing the exhaust, I'm not an expert so I don't really know but why would you want a performance type exhaust on a hybrid in the first place? It's a 110hp motor or so.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts