8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 08 civic with the R18 and i do approx 12L/100Km or near 19Mpg if you prefer. I was wondering what could cause the problem?
I changed plugs, air filter. Tried some injector cleaner, checked the front brake calipers. Whatever my driving is the car always drink too much.

I also tried to look for a leak with a friend under the car and haven't found anything.

Anyone here have a solution?

Thanks

·
Registered
921 Posts
Have you been experiencing sluggish acceleration lately?? The catalytic convertor might be clogged up. You should try Cataclean - I used this stuff myself and it helped my car a bit assuming it wasn't too dirty/clogged. Just dump it in the gas tank and drive it a bit hard.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Clean O2 sensor(vinegar), MAP sensor(replace, have not found an effective way to clean this), MAF sensor(ether). Check for exhaust leaks/tighten all exhaust connections. Check for vacuum leaks. Check grounding system on ECU/Negative Battery Terminal(sandpaper contact point, new connection bolts/washers). Report back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about your fuel filter, it could be getting clogged. I think most Hondas are good for 60 or 80k can’t remember off the top of my head

The fuel filter is in the gas tank .. It doesn't get changed unless the pump fails ..

You have no check engine lights so the car thinks it's doing good

I would do what has been recommended . However id get a new maf sensor , new o2 sensors and put them in to try to single out the prob .. If your backfiring your CEL would come on .. So no worries there ..

Also if your not using the stock intake box or you have other mods like headers or exhaust they will drop your milage pretty bad .. The computer needs to be tuned for those changes .. If not your fuel trims will be wonky

You should also run your gas tank empty and get fuel from a diff gestation that you normally do .. In winter the ethanol blend in fuels changes ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I have a 08 civic with the R18 and i do approx 12L/100Km or near 19Mpg if you prefer. I was wondering what could cause the problem?
I changed plugs, air filter. Tried some injector cleaner, checked the front brake calipers. Whatever my driving is the car always drink too much.

I also tried to look for a leak with a friend under the car and haven't found anything.

Thanks
Did you adjust the valves ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
This could be your issue- check your tire pressures. If they're way too low there will be too much rolling resistance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This could be your issue- check your tire pressures. If they're way too low there will be too much rolling resistance.
I check them frequently and they are good anyway putting snow tires this week end which are 15 inch instead of 17 inch might help or worsen idk. Lets say that my summer tires are technically worn out im not even sure they are legal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
Plugged cat, or plugged fuel pressure sensor. Clean the throttle body by removing it, and cleaning with a parts cleaner. Relearn idle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
did you scan it for codes?
Yes it had no codes. Well maybe after i smashed it lmao but before no.

Yeah finally had an accident with the car two weeks ago. Might only have needed a rad, a bumper and a light but **** off that car went to scrapyard. Anyway it was rotten at the trunk level and cracked on the lenght somewhere else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts