8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,
this is the first time i actually post anything in a car forum. Although i probably check 8thcivic everyday. Anyways, my dad got me a civic on my 21st bday (a royal blue EXI). we get the JDM model here and i started modifying it since day one. The first thing i did was change the rims and the tires. I sourced these gunmetal dark 17inch rims which are really rare here. (actually it's a small country, i think they're the only ones around). I wrapped them around with Toyo Proxes T1R tires which are just phenomenal. The grip is outstanding in the dry and in the rain. I also drove them once in the snow, they were suprisingly ok. After the rims and tires, came the tint. ( 30% on all side windows; front and back)..then the trunk spoiler which was custom made...I then drove the car for like a couple of months without doing anything, i got bored..so i just started installing random things here and there. I got a 8000k xenon light conversion kit, rear parking sensors. Then on my next bday, my parents got me the KENWOOD DDX6039!!! ( I HAD BEEN NAGGING FOR IT FOR SOME TIME)..this is an amazing piece of kit...it's a double din 7 inch-wide touchscreen. It plays every single thing u could think off. dvds,mp3s,dvd audio,mpg,divx,jpgs etc...its also anti-glare and u can adjust the tilt. Apart from all of this, it just looks amazing with the dashboard. it fits amazing. Then i installed a rear-view camera simply for fun. (it's cool when ur cruising around and u see some hot chics on the side of the road, u switch it on and drive by but u can still c them clearly on the screen.)
THEN I FELT THE NEED FOR MORE POWER. basically its very expensive to order parts from the states so i have to try make the best of what is available here. One trip to the local exhaust guy, and i found a HKS muffler which was fitted on a 03 civic type r. He custom fit the backbox which needed some welding BUT DAMN it sounds amazing. I don't really know wut model or system it is, but it says HKS and im sure its original. I never thought changing ur exhaust could do all that. It basically sounds the same till like 4000 rpm, then it starts getting really loud and ends with a crazy shriek at 7000. The car revved much freely but not as freely as after i installed a custom cold air intake system. (ok this took alot of work) after spending hours on online forums, i decided to custom build my own with the help of my mechanic friend. The only worry was the placement of MAF sensor and check engine light and ****. First off we decided to build a mix of short ram and cold air system. We placed the filter inside the engine bay and hooked it to a special kind of tubing that goes all the way to front of the car. we used special stainless steel tubes. I sent one of the metal pieces to a proffessional stainless steel welder which made a place to fit the MAF sensor exactly where it was fit before ( so it would give the same readings)..the guy also welded a piece to hook the breather hose to. Then it was time to get the filter. I basically went to like a million places to find the best filter. I ended up getting this SPARCO racing filter. The guy recommended it and apart from being the most expensive, it simply looks amazing in the engine bay(see the pics) i love its color. okay after like a day of hooking everything up. I finally turned the car on. Waited like 10 mins for the ECU to reset and NO CHECK ENGING LIGHT!!! then i drove outside of the garage and kicked it down and i just couldnt belive how frickin' good it sounds. oh my god! the car feels so much faster with it. I hate the ppl that say the R18 engine is **** bla bla bla ( civic si ppl..) i know the civic si is definetly a better faster car, but still the r18 has some potential believe me. Im not sure about hp gains, but i can tell u, the car is like twice as responsive as before. Throttle response is scary. The car just jumps forward. With the exhaust, it sounds mean!! I really do advise everyone to do their own CAI. check the pics and if u need any help, please ask me.
finally..just yesterday, i installed iridium spark plugs. ( i didnt honestly feel any increase in power)
okay ive been writing for some time. hope u guys like the pics
give me all ur comments

Attachments

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Ummm.. A serious CAI? It seems like it may have a filter within the tube instead of having it at the end of the cai.

That's the best I can come up with. I have no idea, lol.

[edit] I win!

i decided to custom build my own with the help of my mechanic friend. The only worry was the placement of MAF sensor and check engine light and ****. First off we decided to build a mix of short ram and cold air system. We placed the filter inside the engine bay and hooked it to a special kind of tubing that goes all the way to front of the car

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
basically, we have tons of rain in the winter, so placing the filter at the front of the car would b dangerous i guess.. i got the idea from a friend of mine who did the same CAI on his old golf gti... it works perfectly, i really dont know y ppl dnt use a system like that. The tubing is going down all the way to the small opening in the fog-light place in the front bumper..so the it's sucking air from the best place....it's taking the air up to be filtered..then to the engine.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
That's a really good idea, and it actually looks really nice. The only concerns that I can think of (at the moment) would be the effects of the heat soaking through the material that you used, and if it would throw a CEL.

I honestly don't know anything about the sparco thing that you used, could you let me know if it does let heat through. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright here's a detailed discription of the custom intake:
parts used:
*2 stainless steel corners (one hooked up to the engine, one after the filter going down) - i used these because they have very good heat properties(they keep the heat out, so basically u still have cold air inside). u would want to custom weld a place for the MAF sensor to go in. (this should be done extremely precisely and professionally to avoid CEL)
*the filter... u could buy any filter, i was going for a green air filter until i saw how good this one looks...(make sure it has a cover)...this helps keep the heat out. it's made to stay cool on the inside (no heat soaking)
* a 3inch diameter flexible tube that goes down from the filter to the front of the car.
it's actually really easy to do. a hybrid between a SRI AND A CAI
it works amazing..no check engine light no nothing... i even took it to the dealership for servicing, they resetted the ECU on purpose to make sure everything is ok...and everything was fine

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Would you happen to have any pics of the intake being built? I'm really fascinated by it for some reason, lol.

repped, btw.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Thanks man. :thumb:

Oh, and have a formal "welcome to the site" while you're at it. New guy brings doughnuts. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Just earlier today I was actually thinking about an intake similar to this... just wasn't sure how you would get the filter in there but that Sparco "airbox/filter cover" is perfect. Does it have a removable filter inside the Sparco assembly?

Welcome!

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
the comments I posted earlier were not meant to be racist, He is lebanese I am algerian and we both speak same language, So I welcomed him in Arabic.

Thanks

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
Hey welcome to the site! I hope a drop is the next mod ;)
Car would look best without too much wheel gap.
I love how you custom made that CAI. Send me one! LOL
R18's ftw :D:D:D (sometimes)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts