8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had already replaced your original tires? If so, what tires did you get? Where is the best place to get new tires?

My 06 Civic EX tires 205/55R16 are wearing down after about 28,000 miles of use. I think I will need new ones soon.

Thanks.
Derrick

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
if you're looking for a summer tire (which I'd recommend if you have summer and winter seasons) so you can have a dedicated summer and a dedicated winter tire..
I'd say for the money, you can't beat kumho ecsta SPT's
the tread wear and grip can't be beat.. some people compare them to nexen n3000's which are even cheaper, but doesn't get you more bang for your buck

·
Registered
618 Posts
i have the nexen n300 tires, and after 12,000 miles, they still have 7/32 of tread, they started at 9/32. So, if you are trying to go really cheap, nexen are not bad at all. I have them on Si wheels, 225/45/17, but that really should not matter.

·
Registered
636 Posts
i have the nexen n300 tires, and after 12,000 miles, they still have 7/32 of tread, they started at 9/32. So, if you are trying to go really cheap, nexen are not bad at all. I have them on Si wheels, 225/45/17, but that really should not matter.
I also have the Nexen N3000's on my 18's. I guess they're OK. I didn't have a choice wen I got my new rims. They were included. How do u find out ur tread?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I also have the Nexen N3000's on my 18's. I guess they're OK. I didn't have a choice wen I got my new rims. They were included. How do u find out ur tread?
I assume you mean the tread life...if so, you need a tread-depth gauge to tell you how much tread you have left on the tires. They are only $5-$10 and really worth it when checking to see how your tires are holding up.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
I live in a rural area. So either walmart or tirerack.com is where I get my tires.

For Summer high performance tires - look at General Exclaim UHP.

Tirerack.com has really good charts of user ratings and lots of testings to compare tire within a class.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I like these for their wet weather performance...stick like glue in the rain.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=H

Basically they are the All Season version of the Pilot Exalto PE2s...but for some reason...they stick better than the PE2. Nice tire...you'll pay for them but they have grreat treadlife and great handling. Treadlife is HUGE compared to the PE2 by the way.

It has a 400 A A rating versus the PE2 240 A A much better treadwear. Check em out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I live in a rural area. So either walmart or tirerack.com is where I get my tires.

For Summer high performance tires - look at General Exclaim UHP.

Tirerack.com has really good charts of user ratings and lots of testings to compare tire within a class.
And they don't weigh a ton which to me is a big factor

·
Registered
967 Posts
General Ultimax HP gets my vote. I purchased a set of four at a local shop for 85 each balanced and installed.
Dry grip is a HUGE improvement over the Good Year RSAs and wet traction is pretty amazing at highway speeds. The noise has been reduced as well, which is a major plus. There has not been a change in fuel efficiency. I drove through light snow today and the traction was still pretty good for an all-season tire.
I sometimes find myself taking clover leafs a lot faster than before because I know that the grip is very tenacious.

I highly recommend these tires.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not a big fan of unidirectional tires. Can't rotate to manufacturer's specifications without dismounting and remounting... heh.

As for tires, Bridgestone Turanzas (All Season) have good all-around performance on my aunt's (rear wheel drive) Miata. I've driven that girly thing in the snow with a 75lbs. bag of sand in the trunk, and it wasn't terribly scary.

Check http://tirerack.com though for a whole selection of tires including testimonials of tires, and some head-to-head comparisons.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not a big fan of unidirectional tires. Can't rotate to manufacturer's specifications without dismounting and remounting... heh.
I've been rotating front to back, (i.e. no changing of sides) for decades (since I got my first car with Goodyear Gatorbacks), and I have yet to see any evidence that suggests that keeping the tires on the same side of the car will shorten their life to any measurable degree.

FWIW, I love unidirectional tires.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Rotation of tires is important but as Ship said - The rotations work just fine with a simple front to rear swap. Perhaps on a wore out WRX you might need to worry about "correct" rotations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got 46,000 and I'm ready for new tires. I live in Cleveland so I have a lot of snow to deal with. I'm leaning towards the Good Year Assurance Triple Tred. They are 112 each at sam's club.

Anyone live in an area with a lot of snow that does a lot of driving? I'm looking for a solid all season tire that I can get a lot of miles out of.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.