8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
civic ex cp engine knocking sound on idle.... I noticed that when my car is in idle or park with the engine on, I can hear a knocking sound from my engine.
I just want to know if anyone have similar experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
hhhmmm, knocking sound on a new car...doesn't sound right. I got a crazy idea...crazy indeed...take it to the dealer for the warranty

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
oplok72 said:
civic ex cp engine knocking sound on idle.... I noticed that when my car is in idle or park with the engine on, I can hear a knocking sound from my engine.
I just want to know if anyone have similar experience. Thanks.

Are you sure it's not just some valve chatter? Does it make this noise with the engine under any load?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am bringing the car tomorrow for check up just to make sure. The noise is noticeable when engine is on and in park mode. I can hear more sound when I am in the stop light idling and the gear is on primary. The sound is like from an old car that need valve adjustment. Even my wife who's not a mechanic also noticed the sound. Hopefully it's just minor. I will keep you guys posted tomorrow once i get a feedback from honda.

P.S. Hopefully it's only a chatter. :hail:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got out from Honda shop and they told me that it is from the valvetrain. And it is normal. The only thing is I bought the car 10/01/05 and I didn't hear that sound until last week. I guess I just have to observe it. Thanks guys for your feedback. :driving:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Checked last night and this morning. No unusual sounds (perhaps some valve chatter, but very minor and i can't hear it from inside the cabin).

Glad to hear everything is Ok.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
oplok72 said:
Just got out from Honda shop and they told me that it is from the valvetrain. And it is normal. The only thing is I bought the car 10/01/05 and I didn't hear that sound until last week. I guess I just have to observe it. Thanks guys for your feedback. :driving:
I'm sorry but you should not be hearing a ticking or knocking noise in your new civic. Mine doesn't even have the slightest little ticking noise. You might want to complain to your dealer a little more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just put 93 Gas today and maybe i'll have it change oil this weekend. if it still doesn't improve i'll complain again. Ya! you are right that noise is something. I owned 2 accords(96,03), 2 civics(02,06), 1 pilot(05) and none of them have similar sound with this one. They're usually quiet. Anyway, i'll keep you posted. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tell the dealer you want to listen to a new one on the lot. If it doesn't make a chatter sound and yours does then something is wrong. They can't tell you its normal if other cars don't sound the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the link to the sound. That sound was on top of the regular engine sound. I recorded it this morning when I started the engine (recorder was between the hood and windshield). Then drove to work and tried to listen again but It got quiter. Some people I talked to, told me that it might be a weather related, it's 26F today. And I did remember that when I bought it 10/01, it was still warm. I still didn't get a chance to bring it to the dealer. Hopefully this weekend.

http://www.ximsys.net/Recording1.wav

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
oplok72 said:
Here is the link to the sound. That sound was on top of the regular engine sound. I recorded it this morning when I started the engine (recorder was between the hood and windshield). Then drove to work and tried to listen again but It got quiter. Some people I talked to, told me that it might be a weather related, it's 26F today. And I did remember that when I bought it 10/01, it was still warm. I still didn't get a chance to bring it to the dealer. Hopefully this weekend.

http://www.ximsys.net/Recording1.wav
That doesn't sound right. Mine doesn't make that ticking noise. If I were you I would have it looked at.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
yah, that doesn't sound right to me either. I drove my 7thgen in sub zero degree weather all the time and it never sounded like that. Take it to the dealer and have them hear it. If they brush you off - tell them to turn on another car, and have your car right next to it to compare.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I made an appointment for tomorrow to another Honda Dealer/Service. Hopefully I'll get something out from them. The sound is not as loud but
you will notice it since it has a higher pitch sound from the engine. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did the change oil yesterday and the engine sound is back in one piece just like the first day I picked up the car. Prior to the change oil the oil life was 60%. I hope that was it.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
oplok72 said:
Did the change oil yesterday and the engine sound is back in one piece just like the first day I picked up the car. Prior to the change oil the oil life was 60%. I hope that was it.
Say what? Is it still ticking and knocking?? Did you do like webby said and compare it to a new one sitting on the lot?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't get a change to compare it bacause my appointment to the dealer were change oil and knocking sound. After the change oil, they called me to speak with the technician about the sound but it was gone. So far, 3 days now from the change oil and I dont hear the sound anymore.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts