8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
this is so great to know, here i was trying to keep shifting at 2500 all this time being uberconservative, now i know i can go to 3500 xD i'm so proud of my car haha

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
.....there i was trying to keep shifting at 2500 all this time being uberconservative, now i know i can go to 3500.....
That doesn't mean you're gonna hit i-VTEC when you shift at or even before 3500 rpm. Chances are, you won't. I would know, I installed an LED light that lights up when I'm in fuel economy i-VTEC. Unless you're going down a steep hill accelerating at 3500 rpm, you'll probably never be in fuel economy operating range at that rpm.

·
Banned
2,704 Posts
That doesn't mean you're gonna hit i-VTEC when you shift at or even before 3500 rpm. Chances are, you won't. I would know, I installed an LED light that lights up when I'm in fuel economy i-VTEC. Unless you're going down a steep hill accelerating at 3500 rpm, you'll probably never be in fuel economy operating range at that rpm.
:eek:hsnap: have a DIY for this ? haha i'd be curious to see how often im in econo-mode :beer: :vtec:

·
Registered
125 Posts
give respect

The R18 has putrid acceleration... so if you're driving everywhere under 3... I think it's you that's "accelerating at a ridiculously slow rate" hehehe :thumb: .
A little Harsh don't you think?
the civic/R18 is fast compare to a Fit, and slow compare to accord V6 or a skyline for that matter...

that engine is nothing less than remarkable for its displacement and will outperform any of the competitors with similar size engine, ... no 2litres from hyundai, or ford Focus or Mazda 3, not even a 2.5l regular impreza is faster than that little R18... Mazda needs a DOCH 2.5liters to barely surpass a honda's SOCH 1.8 engine.... and i was looking at my friend's impreza through the rear view mirror and its 170hp ...

The R18 feels linear compare to some of honda's previous engines and revs nicely and SURE provides enough low end torque to be driven around town below 3500rpm easily keeping up with traffic ... in 3rd gear at around 3000rpm it only takes a very slight press on the throttle and all of 3seconds to go from 60 to 80km/h ... that 3rd gear also moves the car from 120 to 150km/h in a rather satisfying manner... not bad at all, far from 'fast' i guess but notheless provides a rewarding driving experience... and without taking anything away from the very respectable K20, fact is that an Si when driven below 6000rpm feels a lot like an R18 ... but then of course what fallows pass 6000rpm brings the civic to a different level of performance... and again i'm sure some porsche owner would qualify that of 'putrid' acceleration

considering it sits under the hood of an affordable compact car i believe the R18 is worthy of respect :clapping:

·
Registered
79 Posts
So i originally assumed my civic did not have vtech as I am used to the 'original' vtech found in the h22 and such. But in one of the links I read that the I-vtech 1.8 was designed for the 5AT. I drive a manual. So does my 08 sedan 5 speed have the I-vtech?? Thabks

Luke

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
A little Harsh don't you think?
the civic/R18 is fast compare to a Fit, and slow compare to accord V6 or a skyline for that matter...

that engine is nothing less than remarkable for its displacement and will outperform any of the competitors with similar size engine, ... no 2litres from hyundai, or ford Focus or Mazda 3, not even a 2.5l regular impreza is faster than that little R18... Mazda needs a DOCH 2.5liters to barely surpass a honda's SOCH 1.8 engine.... and i was looking at my friend's impreza through the rear view mirror and its 170hp ...

The R18 feels linear compare to some of honda's previous engines and revs nicely and SURE provides enough low end torque to be driven around town below 3500rpm easily keeping up with traffic ... in 3rd gear at around 3000rpm it only takes a very slight press on the throttle and all of 3seconds to go from 60 to 80km/h ... that 3rd gear also moves the car from 120 to 150km/h in a rather satisfying manner... not bad at all, far from 'fast' i guess but notheless provides a rewarding driving experience... and without taking anything away from the very respectable K20, fact is that an Si when driven below 6000rpm feels a lot like an R18 ... but then of course what fallows pass 6000rpm brings the civic to a different level of performance... and again i'm sure some porsche owner would qualify that of 'putrid' acceleration

considering it sits under the hood of an affordable compact car i believe the R18 is worthy of respect :clapping:

:yeahthat::canada:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Finally someone gets it! Its not faster than an SI but hands down on the top of its food chain! :D gotta love it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad I found this thread. This was one where I read all the damn comments. Now I have to say dropping down to 3rd from 5th feels great in the r18. Car has so much potential for being what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No one could ever claim the R18 Civics are fast, and if anyone bought one thinking that then they are sorely disappointed. That being said I think my 06 EX coupe MT is peppy and economical. I can baby it and get high 30's mpg or rev it up and have a blast rowing up and down the gearbox on twisty back roads. It handles beautifully for a car costing so little. Simply put, its never going to win many races, but it is sure fun to drive IMO. Looks nice, too!
I agree.fun,sporty, affordable. for those u have that need for speed just go with the SI...duhhhh!!!

101 - 120 of 122 Posts