8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Ok, so this is my first post on this forum even though I've been reading posts on this site for a while now.

I recently bought an R18 sedan and I've read all of the above posts (and the links they pointed too), but I'm still not sure that I fully understand the i-VTEC system. Please be gentle... ;)

I understand that the i-VTEC on the R18 is made for fuel economy NOT performance. What I don't understand is at what point you are getting the maximum performance out of the engine.

So, from what I gather, max torque at 4300 RPMs, max HP is at 6300 RPMs and i-VTEC kicks in at the 1500-3500 RPM range. Does this mean that my optimal shift point for maximum acceleration is around the 4500 RPM range?

Sorry for the n00b question guys and thanks in advance for your replies! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
The optimal shift point for maximum acceleration is at the redline. If you're going for hard acceleration, you won't be using the fuel economy setup (what you get with low load and 1500-3500rpm), so that has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
970 Posts
But if the optimal shift point for maximum acceleration is at the redline, why does it feel like the car is losing power when I shift past the 4000-4700 RPM range?

When I shift at high RPMs in low gears I feel like the car is lagging unless I shift somewhere in the 4000-4700 RPM range. When I shift in this range I feel like the car has much smoother acceleration and more power. In 4th or 5th though, this doesn't really seem to be the case.

Am I crazy for thinking this? :confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
so let me know if im understanding this right from 1500 to 3500 the vtec kicks in and limits how high the vavles open. and after 3500 rpm the valves open more to get more power and less mpg?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to add some good things about ivtec....I own a 09 LX-S......almost all the honda vehicles have ivtec......yes it adapts to the way you use the throtle......at 1500-3500/4000rpm its all about efficiency and i the horsepower would be as mentioned in the manual.
My car is an automatic, but I do use the drive stick- 1,2 D3 & D......trust me it works as good as a manual.
I can easily reach 7000rpm and can easily overtake most of cars n SUV's( not with 200+ hp)......but presumably it might be well around 150-155 @7000rpm.....its initially slow to act but then when it reaches 3500rpm.....you will feel the difference.

Even with this i decently get 29-30mixed mpg..

I was told this by a frnd who has an 09accord.....he tried this and asked me to try it on my civic......and it really was amazing....and it wont effect ur engine on a long run too(Had asked my mech).....

So R18 fans...try it n lemme know.........its powerfull enough.....u need to drive to its limits........

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just wanted to add some good things about ivtec....I own a 09 LX-S......almost all the honda vehicles have ivtec......yes it adapts to the way you use the throtle......at 1500-3500/4000rpm its all about efficiency and i the horsepower would be as mentioned in the manual.
My car is an automatic, but I do use the drive stick- 1,2 D3 & D......trust me it works as good as a manual.
I can easily reach 7000rpm and can easily overtake most of cars n SUV's( not with 200+ hp)......but presumably it might be well around 150-155 @7000rpm.....its initially slow to act but then when it reaches 3500rpm.....you will feel the difference.

Even with this i decently get 29-30mixed mpg..

I was told this by a frnd who has an 09accord.....he tried this and asked me to try it on my civic......and it really was amazing....and it wont effect ur engine on a long run too(Had asked my mech).....

So R18 fans...try it n lemme know.........its powerfull enough.....u need to drive to its limits........
agreed, my '11 civic will fly when i need to

·
Registered
292 Posts
pretty impressive, just watched the video. i guess they doing 3d map like STI has. i thought at full throttle it still has vtec engaged?

81 - 100 of 122 Posts