8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
from what I understand the accord and oddsy may due that too on certian modles, I belive that the pilot also has convetional vtec to right? is it still a c35?
Yes, the Pilot is 3.5 litre, 244 hp, 240 ft lb torque, 0-60 in around 7 sec.
I think that they started doing the VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) in 2006 and I believe that the Odyssey has the same engine.
The salesman at the dealership said that the Pilot and Odyssey are very similar underneath, but of course the Pilot being more rugged.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, the Pilot is 3.5 litre, 244 hp, 240 ft lb torque, 0-60 in around 7 sec.
its sad that anyone in a pilot or oddsy could just walk right past our little singleslammer but those are some nice cars, I would not mind crusing a minivan at all if it was an oddsey :dancingcoolsmiley: thems are some sharp cars

·
Registered
220 Posts
Very informative about different versions of VTEC:

VTEC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I for one just got my 08 Civic EX on Saturday, and so far, after almost 200 miles, I have almost a half tank left, and I have only gone above 3k RPMs a few times, and above 5k RPMs ONCE.

Even keeping the RPMs fairly low, I have found that I accelerate along with the rest of the cars around me just fine, without being too slow or too fast. Coming from a 1997 Chevy work truck, this car feels (and is) a lot faster! My other car is a 2004 Mustang GT Convertible, which is what I drive when I want torque :)

-John

·
Registered
160 Posts
break in period is at least 600 miles= no full throttle shifts no hard starts, dealerships are not always right, get a second or third opinion -2cent
Dealer says no break in period. Opened the book, break in is as you stated. However. before, it used to be a complicated break in period of altering driving speeds up and down while on the hwy. This is no longer the case.

Just no hard starts (600 miles), which I would also assume, no power shifting, or HARD BREAKING (200 miles), as per the manual.

As far as the vtec stuff goes.. I just shift anywhere between 1500 and 3500. But while cruising on the hwy at hwy speeds, you'll be close to 3500. I'm used to driving my 95 civic 85mph and getting 35mpg's, so we'll see how I'll have to alter driving habits to get 35mpg or better on the new 08 EX.

I drive 300 commute every day, 85% hwy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oops... my gosh, that's my bad. it's 150 round trip. 750/week, 3000/mth.

It was okay when gas was $1.89...every buck it goes up, it costs me about $80/month. So..that means an extra $160 since about 2 years ago.

It's not so bad in summer time when schools out, but when school is in, it takes extra time and costs some mpg's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just bought my wife a new '08 LX (sedan, blue, auto) last week, and I must admit that I did not have a thorough understanding of how i-VTEC worked at all. Being a motorcycle guy, I was very familiar with how VTEC worked on Honda's VFR800, and I assumed that the system on the Civic was very similar. I was a bit mistaken, but I am not disappointed. The Civic is very fun to drive, and although we have not taken the car over 3500 RPM, out of VTEC (economy) mode and into "Normal" mode, the acceleration is just fine for a nice looking commuter car. After our first oil change I hope to get into the pedal a bit more and see how the engine responds.
I watched the movie that is posted here, and although I was impressed with the technology, I have to say that I hope that I never have to work on this thing! I was happy to see that the R-18 does not have a timing belt...
We love our new Honda!
Gregp

·
Registered
340 Posts
This post made me laugh out loud. Please tell me you are kidding. I feel sorry for your car and your motor. Its hardly even being used. Don't you think that Honda would recommend that you drive like this if it was practical? I hang around 3500-4k in my Si with way more HP. How in the world do you get anywhere in the R18 at <3k? Then the comments about the people who are accelerating ridiculously slow? ROFL. That’s you, bro. BIG TIME.

Now, please don't drive directly beside the person beside you so I can pass. :vtec: Thanks, :pat:
3500-4K, huh? you're really trying aren't you? lol you're garbage.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts