·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like their site went down right after I posted the link. It's not a perfect world, so just give it some time and I'm sure the site will come back on line. <edit> There, the site is back up now. All set. -Glenn

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Since I'm new to V-TEC, I'm trying to figure this "fuel economy cam" and "high output cam" thing. Since 1.8s only have one cam, how does it "kick in"? Are the lobes on it different at different places for what it needs to do based on load, acceleration, etc.?

·
Registered
752 Posts
http://world.honda.com/CIVIC/

That link will take you to a Civic section. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. There yopu will find more specs on the 1.8, the chart posted here and a video highlighting the r1.8's tech. I think Honda posted this in july of 05.

·
Registered
406 Posts
umm, no.

keep it under 3500 rpm because thats when the motor tries to limit pumping losses. less power, but more economy

·
Registered
5,361 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[IVI] said:
Since I'm new to V-TEC, I'm trying to figure this "fuel economy cam" and "high output cam" thing. Since 1.8s only have one cam, how does it "kick in"? Are the lobes on it different at different places for what it needs to do based on load, acceleration, etc.?
The Honda "movie" others referred to is excellent.

Here's the concept put another way (credit to www.japanesecarfans.com)...

Regards,
Glenn

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honda has a video on the Web showing the internal operation of the new 1.8L iVTEC as in the 2006 (non-Si) Civics, here:

How iVTEC works in the R18 motor
Click on the "Watch the movie" link on the right side of the press release.

Regards,
Glenn in CT

<edit> (Oppsss, someone already posted a link to this. Sorry. --Glenn)

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
I, for one have never hit VTEC in our R18's... maybe I don't know how or I'm supposed to be doign something in particular... maybe someone could tell me how LOL
i'm pretty anal about going over 3k RPM's in any gear unless the person in front of me is driving insanely slow and accelerating at a ridiculously slow rate then i gotta bring it up momentarily. maybe thats why i haven't gotten it..

1 - 20 of 122 Posts