8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been going to circuit city for a long time, and have had all my installations done through them. since they are no more, i called up best buy. i told them i need my sirius installed, hard wired behind the dash with wires hidden. they told me that's $70! circuit city charged $40. i then told them i need them to rewire the power outlet so it's always on (foreign cars are lame; once you turn the car off, you have no power). he said it can't be done. i'm like wtf, circuit city did it no problem. he said hold on. came back and said it will be $60 to do that. circuit city did it for $30. wtf is best buy's problem? i saw on their website they want $800 for a home theater installation? wow. now i have to go find a place that will do what i need. i want to do it myself, but i get frustrated and i'm afraid i will break a piece of the dash or something. that and these places know how to route wires better than me, and how the **** comes apart.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol wahhhh wahhh nahh im just messn with you
diy time! woo!
im sure there is other places that will probly do it cheaper you just gotta search
i did search, and 2 places turned out to be att stores now, and the others were far away and seemed too custom, like they would laugh if i just asked for a simple install, and not $1000 worth of labor type stuff. i searched google for 'car audio installation chicagoland'. i didn't search that hard, but that's because i feel i should be doing this stuff myself, especially since i don't want them greasing up my windows or scratching anything.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/do-yourself-articles/146030-sirius-hard-wired-diy.html#post4977410

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Just do it yourself. You can buy cable strippers/crimpers for $10 or less. Plus, you’ll be doing the job the way you want.

Taking the civic dash apart is a cake walk. To hardwire it in is easy (just use but connectors and electrical tape). You could literally do it in 2 hours… going slow. You've got all the resources you need here to help and plenty of folks who have done or can walk you through it.

So, say you get charged $70 for 2 hours of work that might or might not be up to par… 70/2 = $35. You’re paying someone $35/hour. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather ‘pay myself’ $35/hour to do it myself.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Have you tried sites like crutchfield.com directed.com or any others? You may need a password, but there are great DIY websites out there that give ample instructions. As a former installer for Best Buy, I can say that they are in it for the money. The $60 or so is a flat rate for an hour's worth of work. The rate, when I worked there was like $16 every 15 minutes of labor. Most of the installers I know/knew quote more time to do the install to give them a cushion. When I quote, I would quote with a cushion but then explain the reasoning behind and that it would most likely be cheaper because of less labor time. Also keep in mind, the installers only have to pass the MECP test, not have any electronics background (as I do). <---not saying I am better than them, but I am educated as an electronics technician from the Navy.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
first off i would never go to either cc or bb for a install. I would either do it yourself and learn through experiance how to do it the right way or take it to a good mom and pops place. they generally have more install knowledge and quality standards.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I used to be a Circuit City installer here in Tennessee. As of 2/14/09, they locked up my shop..

Our prices were great I thought. Most of the wiring you are talking about, I"d charged $35/satelitte radio install.
As for the power outlet, I'd included that in the sat price. Those are easy.

Best Buy is across the street and they jumped prices up WAY TOO HIGH!!

I miss my job..Circuit City 1960-2009..RIP

·
Registered
286 Posts
first off i would never go to either cc or bb for a install. I would either do it yourself and learn through experiance how to do it the right way or take it to a good mom and pops place. they generally have more install knowledge and quality standards.
Good idea, but beware! In the city where I live, there is a two man shop that has been in business for around 20 years or so. The same two guys have been running it since day 1. With my current knowledge, I know these guys are, what I call, hacks. They can blow sunshine up your can all day long. When their installation job needs fixed and you go in to check it, it's a mess. They do not use adapter plugs for ease of use and maintenance. They do not solder the connections of the wires they just "hack" off. Instead, they twist (I use the phrase loosely) the wires, maybe once, and wrap, ever so slightly, with electrical tape...not even the good kind. They use the shatty kind that resembles plastic and has no lasting tackiness. This setup, in turn, provides a junk job that will need to be fixed at some point in the near future...and they do not warrant their work. But, for some odd reason, they are still in business...because qualified installers are badmouthing them...(must be disgruntled CC or BB employees). Beware if you do hire someone to do the job. I say most anyone can do it themselves though. It just takes patience to learn the pop clip routine.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
FRY'S! FRY'S! FRY'S!

i called up and asked if they installed car audio, and they said yes. the manager of the car audio department actually worked as an installer for the same circuit city i got all my crap installed at. he said he hates best buy, and will match circuit city's prices. hooray! ya, i knew it couldn't be possible that best buy was the only big store (this place is huge) that installed car audio.

to the people saying i should do it myself, i totally agree, and feel embarrassed i'm not, but you know what will happen? i start to route the wire, and then i get to a point where it's kinda half assed, but i'm not sure if there is a better way to do it, or if a certain panel comes off, or what route i should go and what to go around etc, so i just end up leaving it, and a wire is hanging out around the door jam or whatever. the manager told me it is a pain in the ass, and taking well over an hour to do the 2 jobs is proof.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
this is probably the simplest install you could ever do. honestly.
you doubt yourself way too much.

i don't care if you want to take it somewhere. it's your money and it's your time. that's fine. but don't make excuses by doubting your own abilities. ;)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
do it yourself so you know it's being done right..the people at best buy are complete dumbasses!
I have to argue with you on that statement. Just because you did it yourself does not mean its done right. There are plenty of terriable jobs ive seen that was done by DIYers. All you have to know is that your first 20 installs will probably be crappy. As you go along you will get better and you can go back and redo your initial attempts and laugh at how your first attempt looks. As long as you dont burn stuff up its all good and you saved some money and learned something at the same time.

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
15,567 Posts
I have to argue with you on that statement. Just because you did it yourself does not mean its done right. There are plenty of terriable jobs ive seen that was done by DIYers. All you have to know is that your first 20 installs will probably be crappy. As you go along you will get better and you can go back and redo your initial attempts and laugh at how your first attempt looks. As long as you dont burn stuff up its all good and you saved some money and learned something at the same time.
true if you don't know what your doing and don't want to have trial and error than fine pay for it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
go find yourself a nice stereo shop their everywhere but their tiny and dont advertiser much. Do research It will be cheaper in the long run and youll be happy with their service. Best buy will charge you up the ass for EVERYTHING you need this and that and this and that its a gimmick. I stopped going to them a while back because they think they can take adv of you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.