8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
painting on chrome has no surface for primer or paint to stick on it. I would sand down the chrome or aircraft paint remover and try to strip the chrome off as much as possible before painting. IMO I like the chrome painted because it adds slight definition to the trunk.
Just scuff with raw plastic cleaner with fine scotch brite (yellow) then apply an adhesion promoter/clear plastic primer, seal it and paint.

I'm a painter btw.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wtf?! Soon as I saw the off colors I would've demanded for my piece back and taken it somewhere else. Metal cans on the car and he says it won't scratch?! Eff that, he definately doesn't know wtf he's doing. Sorry you're going through this sh!et.

Tell me about it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, I got my trim piece painted Dyno Blue Pearl back today from the body shop. Needless to say I won't be putting it on my car (as I new right from the beginning it would be a disaster). The color match looks pretty close, but it looks slightly lighter than the cars color. I know he sanded and rubbed it because there is compound all on back of piece plus there are still fine scratches all over it. It shines nice, but there are scratches all over it. Don't know if I took it to my detail guy if he could re-buff it properly and get the scratches out or not. So I'm at square 1, only i wasted $95, 3 weeks waiting, and my car got metal paint cans on trunk treatment from body shop guy. I love it, I really do. So now what? Purchase another white trim piece from College Hills Honda and go to a different body shop to mess it up a second time? I REALLY wish I could get this damn piece in my color from Honda done already. Probly leave the POS looking chrome one on already. I'm sick of dealing with the whole situation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Anybody have there's painted and cleared at a body shop and are satisfied with the finish result? By the way, I think the black grill piece would look nicer the same color as the car too. I thought about ordering a chrome grill piece to match the trunk trim, but probably would'nt like the look. Although I had the chrome grill piece on my LX, and my wife still has it on her LX.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
One of the Sacramento member's has your blue. Had the OEM chrome piece painted and he's been very satisfied since. Yeah, just gotta find the right shop to do it, ...not some old noob that puts cans of paint on your car to rest.

Noooo, don't do the front chrome too. Ewwww!

·
Registered
60 Posts
No, I don't want to go chrome front either really. I want body matched too. I just gotta find a good paint shop. I am getting discouraged since I've been to 2 supposedly reputable shops in my area, and they sucked. I am not going to keep wasting money.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
Refuse to pay upfront, ...only offer to pay when the job is complete. In these hard times for small businesses, they'd better know that only the ones that do excellent work and give supurb customer service will be the only ones to survive. Darwin wins all the time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Off topic,but does anyone know why I am limited to posting like 2-3 pics. It shows I have an allotted amount of space to use only. In order for me to post a new pic, I have to delete ones from other threads I have posted. I used the contact section of this site about 3 weeks ago, and never got a reply.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ordered my trunk trim piece from College Hills Honda (awesome customer service and super quick shipping, btw!) a few weeks ago. I got the strip in the closest color blue to Dyno Blue Perl that they had (Atomic Blue Metallic). When you're not in direct sunlight you really can't tell the difference between the two colors (I think because it's such a small piece). But once you are in the light, that's when it becomes apparent that the two colors are pretty different. That being said, I decided to go ahead and try to paint the strip myself and avoid the body shops if possible. If in the end I discover that I can't paint worth crap, then off the the body shop it goes.

So for those who are wondering here is what I ordered (from automotivetouchup.com):

Item No.: AER-CC
Description: 12 oz Aerosol High Gloss Clear Coat
Quantity: 1
Item Price: $7.95

Item No.: AER-PR-Grey
Description: 12 oz Aerosol Sandable Grey Lacquer Primer

Item No.: Assorted Wet Sandpaper Pack
Description: 1 sheet each 180, 320, 600, 1000, 1500 5 sheets of 5 1/2 x 9 wet or dry
Item Price: $4.95

Item No.: B561P
Description: 2011 Honda Civic, 12 oz Aerosol Spray Paint : Dyno Blue Prl
Item Price: $19.95

I'll give this a shot and post up some pictures when I'm done. Fingers crossed that it goes well!

***Update:

Below are the before/after pictures. I think it turned out very well.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
I ordered my trunk trim piece from College Hills Honda (awesome customer service and super quick shipping, btw!) a few weeks ago. I got the strip in the closest color blue to Dyno Blue Perl that they had (Atomic Blue Metallic). When you're not in direct sunlight you really can't tell the difference between the two colors (I think because it's such a small piece). But once you are in the light, that's when it becomes apparent that the two colors are pretty different. That being said, I decided to go ahead and try to paint the strip myself and avoid the body shops if possible. If in the end I discover that I can't paint worth crap, then off the the body shop it goes.

So for those who are wondering here is what I ordered (from automotivetouchup.com):

Item No.: AER-CC
Description: 12 oz Aerosol High Gloss Clear Coat

Item No.: AER-PR-Grey
Description: 12 oz Aerosol Sandable Grey Lacquer Primer

Item No.: Assorted Wet Sandpaper Pack
Description: 1 sheet each 180, 320, 600, 1000, 1500 5 sheets of 5 1/2 x 9 wet or dry
Item Price: $4.95

Item No.: B561P
Description: 2011 Honda Civic, 12 oz Aerosol Spray Paint : Dyno Blue Prl
Item Price: $19.95

I'll give this a shot and post up some pictures when I'm done. Fingers crossed that it goes well!
Interested in seeing results!

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
1. The DBP piece above looks GOOD! Looks like it could use a tad more clearcoat and maybe some wet sanding to make the finish just like the rest of the car but all in all 8/10.

2. I have a chrome piece sitting in my garage (bought an RR piece to replace). If there are serious buyers, I would consider posting it in the f/s section (play by the rules) and selling it...

·
Registered
41 Posts
1. The DBP piece above looks GOOD! Looks like it could use a tad more clearcoat and maybe some wet sanding to make the finish just like the rest of the car but all in all 8/10.
Thanks!

It has quite a few coats of clear coat on it (5-6... I can't remember), but I didn't bother to wet sand it. I just did a quick spray on wax and then installed it. I'll go back over it this summer and wet sand/buff it. But for now it's good enough for me :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I need to get a painted strip, it's sooo much better looking,
My dealer sells them but it's an extra 40 bucks for it to be painted
That's actually a really good deal (provided good quality). The supplies I used cost almost 60 bucks alone! I would have gladly paid $40 to have the dealer paint it.

141 - 160 of 172 Posts