8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
explain por favor?
painting on chrome has no surface for primer or paint to stick on it. I would sand down the chrome or aircraft paint remover and try to strip the chrome off as much as possible before painting. IMO I like the chrome painted because it adds slight definition to the trunk.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
...IMO I like the chrome painted because it adds slight definition to the trunk.
I guess that's the best way I've heard someone explain why they like it. To me it still looks like a wart on the FA5's tushie, ...but I can respect your opinion.
:wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
if you sand it will it not damage the plastic as a whole? every body shop i went to is horrified of the idea of sanding off the chrome. they're scared the new paint wont stick..

i told all of them, i'd pay to SAND it so you dont have to just prime over the chrome but they're still scared.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I plan on getting a LX-S and it has a keyhole on the chrome trim.

Can I still get the 06-08 painted trim and do the same procedure? Ive been looking at pics of the EX and Si Civics and they don't have the keyhole on their chrome trim.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I took my trim to the body shop last week, first he told me he doesn't need to paint and clear it in the paint booth. He said he could spray outside (don't like that idea). Then he looks up my Dyno Blue Pearl paint code and tells me there are 2 different mixes listed. He said the color has been used since 2008, and that the newest mix says it looks more redish. He said stop down with my car this week so he can look at it. UNBELIEVABLE.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
^ Wow, this is becoming a really epic adventure for you. Such a lot of humbug for such a little piece. It'll be all good in the end though, ...makes the final result so much sweeter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I stopped by the body shop today with my car because as I said earlier, the guy said thier are 2 mixing ways for Dyno Blue Pearl. He wanted to see my car. He has had my spare trim piece for a week and a half now. When I got there he had 2 pint cans with a little bit of paint mixed in each one. He showed me, and the one was way off and darker looking. Don't know how that could be classified as Dyno Blue. So we go to my car to compare, and the guy puts both cans on the top of my trunk! I grabbed them and said I don't want them on my trunk. He then says "Listen sunny, I've been doing this all my life. If it was going to scratch your car, I wouldn't have put them on there". What the hell does he think putting 2 metal containers on the paint of a new car is going to do, shine it to a high gloss sheen? I couldn't believe the stupidity it would take to do that. I felt like punching him in the face. Then he runs his fingers across my car in like 4 places. When he put the lids back on the cans, he stepped on them with his feet to close them. He said he will try to paint the trim peice on Friday. I should have just said "Give me the damn trim piece, I'm going somewhere else". I can't wait to see what this disaster looks like. I'll probably have to junk it and start all over again somewhere else. All I have to say is WHY ME?

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
Wtf?! Soon as I saw the off colors I would've demanded for my piece back and taken it somewhere else. Metal cans on the car and he says it won't scratch?! Eff that, he definately doesn't know wtf he's doing. Sorry you're going through this sh!et.

121 - 140 of 172 Posts