8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Greencar.com

LOS ANGELES, Calif., Nov. 15, 2008 – The 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid – the first General Motors vehicle to use the company’s all-new two-mode hybrid system – has been named Green Car Journal’s 2008 Green Car of the Year®. The award was presented at a press conference this morning at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

“This is a milestone in many respects,” says Green Car Journal editor and publisher Ron Cogan. “People don’t think ‘green’ when SUVs are concerned, and for generally good reason since SUVs often get poor fuel economy compared to most other vehicles. Chevrolet’s Tahoe Hybrid changes this dynamic with a fuel efficiency improvement of up to 30 percent compared to similar vehicles equipped with a standard V-8.”

According to the EPA’s 2008 estimated fuel economy ratings, Chevrolet’s achievement is even more apparent during city driving where a large percentage of SUVs spend their time every day. In this environment, the 6.0-liter two-mode hybrid Tahoe achieves 50 percent better fuel economy than a Tahoe powered by a standard 5.3-liter V-8. What’s equally eye-opening is that the Tahoe’s 21 mpg city fuel efficiency rating is the same as that of the city EPA rating for the four-cylinder Toyota Camry sedan.

·
Registered
300 Posts
wow, GM can make a 50,000$ truck that gets mileage equal to a $20,000 sedan? I'm shocked. Jesus, wtf is the matter with people? GREEN? An SUV gets mileage equal to a car at 2x the cost. Who the hell is possibly going to be able to afford this thing? And then the fact is, on the highway, it gets shitty mileage.

Don't get me wrong, hybrids might be an improvement in efficiency, but they should be shooting for 40 mpg instead of 20.

·
Registered
573 Posts
wow, GM can make a 50,000$ truck that gets mileage equal to a $20,000 sedan? I'm shocked. Jesus, wtf is the matter with people? GREEN? An SUV gets mileage equal to a car at 2x the cost. Who the hell is possibly going to be able to afford this thing? And then the fact is, on the highway, it gets shitty mileage.

Don't get me wrong, hybrids might be an improvement in efficiency, but they should be shooting for 40 mpg instead of 20.
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I think this is more cause to look over: "In this environment, the 6.0-liter two-mode hybrid Tahoe achieves 50 percent better fuel economy than a Tahoe powered by a standard 5.3-liter V-8." than the fact that it achieves 21mpg.

Essentially that means that the V-8 guzzles at about 13-16mpg. That's a rather large leap, I think, for something that weighs as much as a Tahoe, with another engine (or two) and requisite batteries that go with it. It's a step in the right direction, granted, not a big step -- but a step, nonetheless. I will concede though, that my neighbors diesel F150 gets about the same milage, lifted, on monster truck wheels and tires.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
GM must be doing something right. Not only did the CTS win Car of the Year this year, the Malibu beat out the new Accord by several points, as well.

I don't see any failure there.

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
why bother comparing to a CAR that is in a compltely different class? whats the point?

maybe if they deicded to not talk themselves up so much people would realize that the toyota hybrid highlander starts lower than 40k and is gets an 27 city/25 highway.

so why was this such a technological breakthrouhg? because it was accomplished by an american company that finally realzed they werent do anything right.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
why bother comparing to a CAR that is in a compltely different class? whats the point?

maybe if they deicded to not tlak themselves up so much peopel would realize that the toyota hybrid highlander starts lower than 40k and is gets an 27 city/25 highway.

so why was this such a technological breakthrouhg? because it was accomplished by an american company that finally realzed they werent do anything right.
I thought it was because of the two-stage electric motor(s) that they're starting to use?

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
^honestly im not a "green" person but if i was, i couldnt really care less how the car gets the mileage it does. all i would car is that is has a high MPG and it has low emissions.

i feel the only reason this is news is because for once an american SUV gets a double digit MPG rating....but of course they still need a huge displacment motor ,lol.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
With all the crap coming from Toyota lately, in terms of their product and quality, I wouldn't hesitate for one second to go back to GM.

The Astra looks mighty fine.
I'm with ya on this one, Mike. A red one! I love those little buggers. I was elated when I heard they were headed to this side of the pond. One of the few hatchbacks on Earth that I actually like.

As for who can afford a Tahoe Hybrid.... have you ever been to Texas? I think they were built specifically for this state.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ford's Model T got 25mpg back in 1908. :pat:

I can't believe this is the kind of "innovative" crap were gonna celebrate. :pat:

Congradulations Chevrolet! It only took you 99 later we're worse than where we started. :pat:

And congradulations to whatever morons labeled that thing Green Car of the Year. :pat:

:pat: :pat: :pat: :pat: :pat: :pat: :pat: :pat: :pat: :pat: :pat: :pat: :pat:

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Hm...just read that the 2007 Rav4's 3.5 V6 just got recalled. Wow, Toyota: sucks to be where GM used to be, doesn't it?

More on the Astra, just because Dawn likes it, too:
*6-air bags standard. Front, head-curtain, and pelvic/thorax. Active head restraints and pedal release system are also standard.
*OnStar is standard.
*The dash is composed of cast-skin (soft touch) plastics with low gloss finish. All interior pillars are covered in cloth and the headliner is woven fabric.
*Ambient interior lighting is optional; includes LED lights in the door pockets.
*Projector-style halogen low beam headlamps and reflector high beams are standard.
*Projector-style fog lamps are standard on XR.
*The liftgate features a touch-pad release system.
*Locking fuel-filler door is standard.
*Exterior mirrors are heated.
*The engine features digital engine sensors as opposed to analog.
*Remote keyless entry is standard. As is the switchblade key.
*Front and rear bumpers feature Xenoy composite energy absorbers for crashes.
*The rear seat of both models has three adjustable and removable headrests.
*Glove box is illuminated.
*Auxiliary 12-volt power outlet on the instrument panel
*The 5-door has an optional oversized sunroof--the largest in the segment.
*A/C has a particle filter
*RainSense wipers are standard.
*The rear wiper automatically wipes the rear window when you put the car in reverse IF the front wipers are on at the time.
*Lane-change turn signal feature automatically flashes the turn-signals 3 times then turns off.
*Automatic lighting control turns the EXTERIOR lights on or off depending on the outside lighting conditions.
*Follow you home lighting feature automatically leaves the headlamps on 30 seconds when you get out of the vehicles, giving you time to find your way into your home.
*Illuminated door handle pockets are optional.
*Covered illuminated visor vanity mirrors are standard.
*Standard driver information center (called Board Computer).
*Enhanced driver information center is optional.

Here is a pic of the Astra key and it's functions:

Unfortunately, the three door model won't have an option for a sunroof, and no model has satellite radio or auxiliary input jacks. Very disappointing, but look at all these other features!

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
being better than other gas guzzling cars doesnt make a "green car", it just makes being a useless truck a little less evil than other useless trucks.

funny thing Mercedes has some extremly clean burning engines, along with some Ford Focus' from a few years ago that are completly gasoline engines that burn as clean as the prius' and HCH's but because their feul economy doesnt improve for the class their in, its not a green car.

the thing still has a V8 and really doubt it can ever get around without using it (unlike the Prius, which can turn off the gas engine) which means it still pollutes, but because it gets acceptable not even good, but acceptable mileage in a Class thats supposed to get pitiful mileage its the best "Green Car" ?

people can call it good, but calling it "Green" is pretty laughable.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.