8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I woke up to wipe my car and I turned on the engine to let it warm up.

After a while I noticed on the dashboard it says "Check Fuel Cap." I opened the fuel cap and didn't see anything wrong and I even made sure to close it tightly and to turn it till I heard a few "clicks."

This problem did not happen yesterday at all, and I was wondering why it happens now.:xyxnervou

I'm kinda worried since I only had this car for about 2-3 days.

EDIT : I'm sorry I meant the title to be "Check fuel cap", if mods could change it that would be great.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The dealer guys told me to always make sure it clicks at least 4 times when you turn it. This ensures that a tight seal is made and no gas escapes the tank.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
the gas cap does say "tighten to click". i always thought just one click would suffice. haven't had a problem. and ive had my car for 3 months/5k miles now.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Somewhat firm inward pressure on the cap as you turn to click will ensure that you get it on there tight enough. Nothing crazy but just a little more pressure inward will get it on there.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I don't even tighten mine till it clicks, I guess once I get that light I'll have to stop. I've had my car for almost 6 months / 13k miles.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I think once it clicks it doesnt even tighten anymore because it gets to the point where your just spinning the base where it clicks.

·
Registered
929 Posts
No, it has to click at least 3 times to ensure a positive seal and to ensure that your emissions control system will work properly...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.