8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does the check engine cell take to go off? Apparently i didn't tighten the gas cap when i filled up the other day and the Honda Tech says that is the cause for the cell and that it should take 2-3 weeks to go off, but if it doesn't go off in a week come back and see him...Anyone ever have this issue?

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
let me make sure i understand this...
you went to a technicial for a CEL and they told you it was a gas cap issue, then proceed to send you on your way wihtout resetting the code? they can easily erase that code and get rid of the CEL.
but since you went to an ******* technician...ill tell you that you can disconnect your battery for a few minutes and it will go away.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, after i posted this i found someone else talking about that so i went out and took off the negative cable for a little while and problem was solved...Thanks anyway! Dealerships really need not be so lazy, i think that most sales would come on customer referrals, but then again i could be wrong, but i would think it would pay to take car of your customers...

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
actually, this happened to me about two weeks ago. I was leaving school and when i started up the car (where the mileage reads) marqueed "check fuel cap". no SRS light came on. I checked the gas cap and it was tight. Then, brought it in right away to the stealership. They erased it and told me that maybe i didn't tighten the cap enough. that wasn't the problem because i got gas about a week and a half prior to this and there was no message on my odometer + i always tighten it. o well, at least its fixed :chill:

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
lol. whats with all these shitty dealerships. when the dealer brings up teh CEL and erases it it gives them a code that tells them what caused it. how come they arent telling you what it is for and just assuming "gas cap".
i would like to mention that i never get a CEL for a gas cap...i really dont know why it seems to be so common.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems like this is a common issue. My '07 Civic EX coupe now has 1,300 miles on it. In Oregon, we can't pump our own gas, so we have to rely on the gas station attendant to tighten it for you. I still go out and retighten it, but I get the 'Check Fuel Cap' message to show. It happened this past weekend and I couldn't get it to go away. Now, I have the engine malfunction light (CEC) on. I'm hoping it will go away in a few days. I called the dealership today and they're booked solid this whole week... sheesh.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ingishi said:
Seems like this is a common issue. My '07 Civic EX coupe now has 1,300 miles on it. In Oregon, we can't pump our own gas, so we have to rely on the gas station attendant to tighten it for you. I still go out and retighten it, but I get the 'Check Fuel Cap' message to show. It happened this past weekend and I couldn't get it to go away. Now, I have the engine malfunction light (CEC) on. I'm hoping it will go away in a few days. I called the dealership today and they're booked solid this whole week... sheesh.
To see if that is the problem just unhook the negative cable to your battery for a few minutes and let it reset itself, if that is the problem then it will go away, if it is still on, then def take it to the stealership...This is what i did and no problems since...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts