1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It's not a terrible idea. They're much kinder to other people on the road than PnPs in stock reflectors.

Just don't expect great output.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
they are the best thing in the world....I just can't afford them....you should go and buy them....they rock!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i mean, has anyone actually seen these in a car? i'm sure its no retro, but is it that bad?

just a passing thought. :p

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
i think someone had those at one point and it had a worse output with stock bulbs.

i would just get the HID kit and put them in the stock housing.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I can't say all ebay projector headlights are very very bad, but for this particular one, I can. I personally own a pair, and I took it out the day I installed it. To me it is more like a downgrade than an upgrade to the OEM headlight. Got to modify the bulb hole to get the HID bulb in, no width at all, big hot spot in the center, and the worst thing is the projector actually pointing about 10 deg outward, making the light very dim to the direct front. Then adding the super difficult ways to aim the light (imagine you got to put it on the car and fire the light up, guessing how much you need to turn the two aiming screws, take the light off the car and turn the screws by guessing, then put it back to the car and see how the aim worked out, then repeat 10+ times.... ), I would say this is a junk.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
well they most likely wont be super bright
some projectors like that are brighter than other
but you thats what you want go for it
also 5000k is the nicest color in my opinion

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't say all ebay projector headlights are very very bad, but for this particular one, I can. I personally own a pair, and I took it out the day I installed it. To me it is more like a downgrade than an upgrade to the OEM headlight. Got to modify the bulb hole to get the HID bulb in, no width at all, big hot spot in the center, and the worst thing is the projector actually pointing about 10 deg outward, making the light very dim to the direct front. Then adding the super difficult ways to aim the light (imagine you got to put it on the car and fire the light up, guessing how much you need to turn the two aiming screws, take the light off the car and turn the screws by guessing, then put it back to the car and see how the aim worked out, then repeat 10+ times.... ), I would say this is a junk.
this is a compelling statement.

well i guess i'm still looking for some headlights... is there any drop in headlight thats worth the time/money?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I don't see a good drop-in ebay projector headlight yet. IMO, buy a retrofitted headlight is the only way to get a drop-in which is worth the money and time. It is not as expansive as you think, but sure it is not at the level below $150 as the junk in your link. You may found bargains when looking into the for-sell forum, as most of the time there are someone selling their old setup after they upgrade. For instance, I just sold my old setup at $400 last week, and it is even more PnP than the ebay projector junk (which you still need to do wiring splicing for all the halo/LED), and performed pretty well.

If you don't want used item and in budget, you can also think about having someone retrofit a good projectors into a pair of new aftermarket OEM style headlight, which should cost you less than $450 for a complete setup from headlight to ballasts, and perform better than many luxury cars with OEM projector.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
you may be surprised how much you can get stuff to retro some real projectors in
theretrofitsource has the mini h1 bi-xenon for 135 including shrouds
then a ddm kit 30-40 plus shipping
you could likely retro your lights for under $200
this is what i intend to do in the next couple months

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
you may be surprised how much you can get stuff to retro some real projectors in
theretrofitsource has the mini h1 bi-xenon for 135 including shrouds
then a ddm kit 30-40 plus shipping
you could likely retro your lights for under $200
this is what i intend to do in the next couple months
Yes, that's the one I'm using right now. It performed very very well, and I don't think you will regret it after you have it. But I think the OP just want something to drop in as PnP and left his existing headlight untouch, so I think he will also need to pay for a pair of headlight, the labor for the retrofit and custom harness, and hence my $450 estimate come from. Sure if he is willing to retrofit by himself with his own headlight, it can be done below $200.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yes, that's the one I'm using right now. It performed very very well, and I don't think you will regret it after you have it. But I think the OP just want something to drop in as PnP and left his existing headlight untouch, so I think he will also need to pay for a pair of headlight, the labor for the retrofit and custom harness, and hence my $450 estimate come from. Sure if he is willing to retrofit by himself with his own headlight, it can be done below $200.
Yeah, I'm excited to do it.
I just finished retroing blazers into my fogs and now I must do the lows.
I dont mind to do the labor myself and I can make harness for the bi-xenon.
should be great

1 - 20 of 22 Posts