8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to setup my FA5 to be a more aggressive track(road course/autoX) car. I've recently been watching Best Motoring International and they feature the Civic Type R FD2 on there alot, and its amazing what that car is able to do when its stock and tuned. So i decided to model my car after it as much as possible. Besides the differences in the motor, suspension, wheels, and it being right hand drive. Does anyone know what the differences are in the chassis? I know how important chassis rigidity is and i know the FA5 has some mild subframe chassis enhancements. I need to know if there is something else that enables the FD2 to handle as well as it does. For now i want to keep my cabin area free of chassis componets.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
The FD2 is reinforced in the front and the middle of the steel frame, but there's no extra braces afaik.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How would one go about reinforcing their Si's frame to be on par with the FD2? Is it possible? Are thicker sway bars going to have a similar effect or can you weld reinforcements onto the frame somehow? I've wondered this ever since I first got my integra and heard about the ITR

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that corsport has lower tie bars(F&R), H Braces & Strut braces that we can get now. But i didn't know if that be enough. I figured there be more than that. If there is extra reinforcement in the front and middle of the frame. I may have to find a shop that can add that reinforcement for me. I saw a show where they stripped out a DC5 and added more welds to the frame and addeda special filler to fill empty spaces in the frame. All the increase rigidity. I'm not trying to go that crazy with it.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
How would one go about reinforcing their Si's frame to be on par with the FD2? Is it possible? Are thicker sway bars going to have a similar effect or can you weld reinforcements onto the frame somehow? I've wondered this ever since I first got my integra and heard about the ITR
Well the FD2 does have a bigger sway bar, but that's more about suspension than rigidity imo. I think our chassis is pretty rigid as is, I'd spend more time on the suspension--better bushings, better suspension, brakes, etc.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've upgraded my rear sway bar already(Big Improvement!) I'll be upgrading the front bushings this spring. Coming up later will be Adj. Coilover system & and subframe bracing. Does anyone make rear strut tower bars for the FA5 yet?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
welds & adhesive...

Adding some rough translation text to that:
1. Adhesive added to the front bulk head.
2. Thicker upper cross member
3. Subframe thickness increased
4. Rear floor frame reinforced, more weld/gluing points
5. Rear cross member reinforced, rear stabilizer thickness increased.

Isn't there a trunk brace located behind the rear seats and intersecting the pass thru?
Hmmm not sure about that. They did remove the trunk-to-rear-seat access for the FD2, but not sure if they actually added a brace back there.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't look like anything to crazy, but it is an amazing finished product. do you know what the letters mean?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Doesn't look like anything to crazy, but it is an amazing finished product. do you know what the letters mean?
Letters pertain to lightening the car. If you want me to list those I can when I get back home. (which will be pretty late)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
the front bumper supports are different. i know they are atleast shorter because we found out when installing a ctr front bumper on a friends Si

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looks like most of the work will need to be done on the front end. Will probably take it to a shop and see what custom reinforcements can be done without tearing the whole front end apart.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I don't know because I didn't check the exact make of the bar but I am pretty sure ours is aluminum too. It is also extremely light and it cut like butter.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
Get suspension upgrades at all 4 corners. Negative the front camber slightly, and stiffen the rear (swaybar + brace in trunk) you'll be on rails in notime!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea i have Rear sway already, and next will be sub frame bracing and front strut bar. But i figured i'd need more once i got the S/C put in

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IDk yet, I don't need one that looks good just one that performs. Is the J's one hollow or solid?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts